[comp.mail.elm] simple editor for elm ???

rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) (08/03/90)

I love elm !  I want everyone in my organization to use it but most arent
capable/patient enough to learn vi ... and the builin editor is not
sufficient for the task at hand.  I need a simple, easy to use editor for
composing mail under elm... ( and for other simple text editing )

I dont need anything fancy... arrow keys that work and a delete key and
backspace would be sufficient... Maybe even a insert/overstrike toggle key
but that would be a luxury.

I guess I want a *simple* full screen editor... Search and replace is not
necessary...

Any ideas ???

Thanks.

--
Rob Freyder                                  Western Atlas International
____    ____     ____                        Core Laboratories

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (08/10/90)

rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) writes:

>I dont need anything fancy... arrow keys that work and a delete key and
>backspace would be sufficient... Maybe even a insert/overstrike toggle key
>but that would be a luxury.
>I guess I want a *simple* full screen editor... Search and replace is not
>necessary...
>Any ideas ???

Look at GNOME (Generally Not the Original Micro Emacs (i think!)) On our
system, the backspace key deletes, the arrow keys work... Its a wonder.
And, its our VI replacement...

Source code is available via UUCP at the number below, in file
~/archives/gnome.tar.Z

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan #  mpd@anomaly.sbs.com  # ...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd --
-- Author, SCO Ported Software Compendium, and Maintainer of Online Archives --

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/13/90)

]rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) writes:
]
]>I dont need anything fancy... arrow keys that work and a delete key and
]>backspace would be sufficient... Maybe even a insert/overstrike toggle key
]>but that would be a luxury.
]>I guess I want a *simple* full screen editor... Search and replace is not
]>necessary...

	Also, simped, a very good line oriented editor for bbs's
	and general novice user stuff came across one of the source
	groups a while ago.  Built in help, etc.  Use it all the time
	here for newusers using elm and picospan.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (08/17/90)

In article <2459@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>rob@lafayet.Lafayette.LA.US (Rob Freyder) writes:
>
>>I dont need anything fancy... arrow keys that work and a delete key and
>>backspace would be sufficient... Maybe even a insert/overstrike toggle key
>>but that would be a luxury.
>>I guess I want a *simple* full screen editor... Search and replace is not
>>necessary...
>>Any ideas ???
We use vi and include a summary of a small set of commands to get users
going.  Here is the summary:

Vi is the "visual" editor for the UNIX machines.  It differs from the
VAX/VMS editor in that vi is a "moded" editor: you are either in COMMAND
MODE or you are in INPUT MODE.  In COMMAND MODE, each keystroke is
assumed to be a command; in INPUT MODE, each keystroke is put into
the file unless it is backspace (the funny "X" key inside the diamond
on vt220s) or ESCAPE.  ESCAPE terminates the INPUT MODE, and puts you
back to COMMAND MODE.  If you don't know what mode you're in, hit ESCAPE
until your terminal beeps.  Then you are in COMMAND MODE.

In COMMAND MODE, the most useful commands are:

   i<string>ESC -- goes into INPUT MODE until you hit ESCAPE
   a<string>ESC -- like "i", but APPENDS (after instead of before)
   x   -- deletes (x's out) one character
   dw  -- delete word (up to next blank)
   dd  -- delete whole line
   o   -- open a line up after the current line and go to INPUT MODE
   r   -- replace the char under the cursor with one next character
   A   -- append to end of line (good for putting in forgotten semicolons)
   0   -- NOTE: zero, not "oh" -- go to beginning of this line
   $   -- go to end of this line
   G   -- go to last line in file
   :1  -- go to first line in file
   ^d  -- that's control-d  -- page down
   ^b  -- (control-b) page backward
   /<string> -- (do not type the < or >) search for <string>
   n   -- search for next occurrence of previous string
   ZZ  -- save edited version and exit ## WARNING!!  ^Z saves nothing!!
   :wq -- same as ZZ                   ## fg will resume vi if you type ^Z
   h   -- cursor left
   j   -- cursor down
   k   -- cursor up
   l   -- cursor right

   NOTE: the arrow keys may work (sometimes, on some, but not all,
	 terminals), but once you get in the habit of using hjkl,
	 you'll like it! -- you don't have to pick up your right hand
	 and move it over to the arrows!!  Get used to it!!

In INPUT MODE, a few keys have special meaning:

BACKSPACE -- (the funny "X" key on vt220s) -- erase the last character
	     you just typed.  This is not the same as "x" in COMMAND MODE.
ESCAPE    -- terminate INPUT MODE, putting you back to COMMAND MODE
^d        -- undo an auto-indent that just happened

NOTE: THE ARROW KEYS ARE INOPERATIVE IN INPUT MODE AND MAY YIELD
      STRANGE RESULTS.  STAY AWAY FROM THE ARROW KEYS!

And there is, of course, the "learn" tutorial package, as in
% learn

--
Ron Nash
San Diego State University