[comp.mail.elm] Forwarding Mail to a Group of Users

steve@vlink01.UUCP (8780 Vlink) (08/29/90)

Could someone answer a simple question for me?

I would like to make up "an alias" that would forward to several
people as a "forwarding alias".

For example:
	falias name = people
	people = john sue frank henry joe

Mail would come into machine!people and would be forwarded to
john, sue, frank, heny joe.

I tried to put this into faliases but it would only forward to the
first name.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.  Please send email.

--
V-Link Corporation             | Steven E Frazier
1828 Darrow Drive              |-----------------------------

dillon@netcom.UUCP (John Altinbay) (08/30/90)

In article <156@vlink01.UUCP> steve@vlink01.UUCP (8780 Vlink) writes:
>Could someone answer a simple question for me?
>
>I would like to make up "an alias" that would forward to several
>people as a "forwarding alias".
>
>For example:
>	falias name = people
>	people = john sue frank henry joe
>
>Mail would come into machine!people and would be forwarded to
>john, sue, frank, heny joe.
>
>I tried to put this into faliases but it would only forward to the
>first name.
>
>Any suggestions.
>
>Thanks.  Please send email.

Thanks.  Please post.  He's not the only one that wants to know.

John.>--

steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen Walick) (08/30/90)

As quoted from <12855@netcom.UUCP> by dillon@netcom.UUCP (John Altinbay):

+---------------
| In article <156@vlink01.UUCP> steve@vlink01.UUCP (8780 Vlink) writes:
|
| >I would like to make up "an alias" that would forward to several
| >people as a "forwarding alias".
|
| Thanks.  Please post.  He's not the only one that wants to know.
+---------------

I had originally replied via 'e-mail', but you've asked for a "follow-
up" posting, so here's a copy of the message that I had e-mailed....

Since this is posted to < comp.mail.elm >, I presume you're using the
'Elm' mailer.  All you would have to do is < man newalias > and bring
up the following which is very easy.  I would use the < newalias -g >
form to make it a system alias.

----------------< begin 'man newaslias' >----------------

     NEWALIAS(1L)USENET	Community Trust	(Elm Version 2.3) NEWALIAS(1L)

     NAME
	  newalias - install new elm aliases for user and/or system

     SYNOPSIS
	  newalias [-g]

     DESCRIPTION
	  Newalias creates new hash and	data files from	a text file.
	  If the program is invoked with the -g	(global) flag, the
	  program updates the system alias files.  Otherwise, the
	  program looks	for a file called $HOME/.elm/aliases.text and,
	  upon finding it, creates files $HOME/.elm/aliases.hash and
	  $HOME/.elm/aliases.data for the elm program.

	  The format that the program expects is;

	       alias, alias, ..	= comment = address
	  or
	       alias, alias, ..	= comment = alias, alias, ...

	  The first form is for	an individual user such	as;

	       dave, taylor = Dave Taylor = veeger!hpcnou!dat

	  and the second is for	defining a group alias such as;

	       gurus = Unix Gurus = alan, john,	dave, mike, richard,
				 larry,	t_richardson

	  Note that lines can be continued at will, blank lines	are
	  accepted without error, and that any line starting with '#'
	  is considered	a comment and is not processed.

	  Aliases are case insensitive so dave and Dave	are both the
	  same alias.

	  Finally, aliases can contain other aliases, and/or groups;

	       unix = Unix people = gurus, taylor, jonboy

     FILES
	  $HOME/.elm/aliases.text	  alias	source for user
	  $HOME/.elm/aliases.hash	  alias	hash table for user
	  $HOME/.elm/aliases.data	  alias	data file for user
	  /usr/local/lib/aliases.text	  alias	source for system
	  /usr/local/lib/aliases.hash	  alias	hash table for system
	  /usr/local/lib/aliases.data	  alias	data file for system

     Page 1					     (printed 5/31/90)

     NEWALIAS(1L)USENET	Community Trust	(Elm Version 2.3) NEWALIAS(1L)

     AUTHOR
	  Dave Taylor, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories.

     SEE ALSO
	  elm(1L), checkalias(1L), mail(1), mailx(1)

     DIAGNOSTICS
	  Newalias has a couple	of descriptive error messages which
	  don't	need to	be detailed here.  It is, however, worth
	  noting that the checkalias program can be used to ensure
	  that the aliases are in the proper order and are available
	  for the elm system.

     BUG REPORTS TO
	  Syd Weinstein	 elm@DSI.COM	(dsinc!elm)

     COPYRIGHTS
	  O Copyright 1986, 1987 by Dave Taylor
	  O Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990 by The USENET Community Trust

     Page 2					     (printed 5/31/90)

----------------< begin 'man newaslias' >----------------

Now, if you're talking about mail coming in from outside of your ma-
chine, then you're talking about a < smail > alias or a < sendmail >
alias file, neither of which are "faliases".

Regards....                                                Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
uunet!ncoast!nshore!steve                       nshore!steve@ncoast.org

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (08/30/90)

>+---------------
>| In article <156@vlink01.UUCP> steve@vlink01.UUCP (8780 Vlink) writes:
>|
>| >I would like to make up "an alias" that would forward to several
>| >people as a "forwarding alias".
>|
>| Thanks.  Please post.  He's not the only one that wants to know.
>+---------------

In addition, if you're using sendmail, you can type "man aliases" to see
how aliases work for sendmail.  I use the sendmail aliases file to make
addresses like "qajobs@radius.com" and "rds@radius.com" which can point to
a real person here, but if the person should change, I can just change the
alias file withouth having to change the general address.

Here's the info in a nutshell:

     Aliases can be listed in the file: /etc/sendmail/aliases

     It is formatted as a series of lines of the form
          name: name_1, name2, name_3, . . .
     The name is the name to alias, and the name_n are the
     aliases for that name.  Lines beginning with white space are
     continuation lines.  Lines beginning with `#' are comments.
     This is only the raw data file; the actual aliasing informa-
     tion is placed into a binary format in the files
     /etc/sendmail/aliases.dir and /etc/sendmail/aliases.pag
     using the program newaliases(1).  A newaliases command
     should be executed each time the aliases file is changed for
     the change to take effect.

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

elw@netxcom.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (09/01/90)

In article <156@vlink01.UUCP> steve@vlink01.UUCP (8780 Vlink) writes:
>Could someone answer a simple question for me?
>
>I would like to make up "an alias" that would forward to several
>people as a "forwarding alias".
>
>For example:
>	falias name = people
>	people = john sue frank henry joe
>
>Mail would come into machine!people and would be forwarded to
>john, sue, frank, heny joe.
>
>I tried to put this into faliases but it would only forward to the
>first name.

I tried to send Email, and it didn't work, so since someone else is
interested, I'll post it.

"faliases" (and the fact you're posting here) makes me think that
you're using stock SCO Xenix, with the Elm mailer, and without
anything like "smail" or "sendmail".

If this is the case, then you want to put your aliases into the
"/usr/lib/mail/aliases" file; not "faliases".

"faliases" is used ONLY for forwarding mail for ONE user to a new
location.  It is recommended for cases where a particular user used
to be on this machine, and moved to another.  It is intended to be
temporary.

"aliases" is for more permanent aliases, and group aliases such as
what you want to do.

"maliases" is for *machine* aliases, which help you send mail to a
given machine.

If you have the manpages, look for "aliases" in the M section, and
"aliashash" in the ADM section.

				Enjoy!
					Edwin.