[comp.mail.elm] elm 2.3 to Tandy 6000 help

rkw@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dr. R.K. Wright) (09/02/90)

I have managed to get ELM2.3 up and runninng on my
3b1's and my SCO Zenix.

Now for the the Tandy 6000.
Nope.
It dumps core and dies on
. config.sh
So I just put the config.sh in front of the substitution routines and
ran that.  appeared to work.

Did a make all and it started spitting out compiler error messages
like crazy and died very shortly.

I am certainly open to any ideas.  ELM is abit like a psycho-active
drug, once you have had it, you seem to want to have some more.
--

R.K. Wright                                                   uunet!medex2!rkw

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/02/90)

rkw@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dr. R.K. Wright) writes:
>Now for the the Tandy 6000.

>Did a make all and it started spitting out compiler error messages
>like crazy and died very shortly.
Is the Tandy running System III or System V, I don't remember RS
issuing a SysV for the 6000.  If its Sys III based Xenix, then
good luck... You have many problems to overcome.  One is the long
identifiers we use.  The older C compilers only allowed 8 chars for
the identifiers, and ignorned anything over that, well in Elm there
are lots of identifiers that match for the first 8 chars.

Then their is the System call interface problem, some of the features
Elm uses are part of System V and were not in System III.

It can be done, Altos Users have ported Elm to their older box,
but, most haven't tried doing so with 2.3, they stopped with 2.2.

And, we have NO INTENT of supporting a System III version of Elm.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235