[comp.mail.elm] Elm Aliases

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/06/90)

I'm having a problem with Elm aliases.  The fact that the Aliases.guide
needs "troff -mn", and my machine tells me "Cannot open /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.n"
isn't helping much .. (I *tried* to RTFM :-)  I tried it without the -mn,
but the Laserwriter prints it such that the text continues off the end of
the page.

Anyway, here's the real problem (aliases) ...

Here's an alias file that works:

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} cat aliases.text
person = Some Person = person%machine@router

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} newalias
Updating your personal alias file...
Processed 1 aliases

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} listalias
person           person%machine@router (Some Person)

So far, so good.  But now if I add a second party to the alias list,
it bombs out:

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} cat aliases.text
person = Some Person = person%machine@router,jones

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} newalias
Updating your personal alias file...
** Bad alias name: person%machine@router.  Too long.

** Not saving tables!  Please fix and re-run newalias!

{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm} listalias
{tdw206:/home/heiser/.elm}

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there a problem with newalias?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/06/90)

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>I'm having a problem with Elm aliases.  The fact that the Aliases.guide
>needs "troff -mn", and my machine tells me "Cannot open /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.n"
>isn't helping much .. (I *tried* to RTFM :-)  I tried it without the -mn,
>but the Laserwriter prints it such that the text continues off the end of
>the page.
Elm includes the tmac.n file, all you say is
troff tmac.n ....  as it is in the doc directory.

(Rest of problem is the ususal misunderstanding of the rule
for Elm aliases).
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.233643.5756@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>Elm includes the tmac.n file, all you say is
>troff tmac.n ....  as it is in the doc directory.
`
Yes, this worked fine, thanks.  The note in the beginning of
the Aliases info file misled me.

>(Rest of problem is the ususal misunderstanding of the rule
>for Elm aliases).

I understood the description you sent me of how to use the aliases.
I'm unclear, though, as to why a "group" alias can't include
names with remote addresses, instaed of only local addresses.

Bill

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/08/90)

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>I understood the description you sent me of how to use the aliases.
>I'm unclear, though, as to why a "group" alias can't include
>names with remote addresses, instaed of only local addresses.
Because of the search algorithm Elm uses for aliases.  Its a hash
table and the names need to be rather short to avoid many collisions
and long hash table keys (thus keeping memory usage down).  Why
Dave choose that method of indexing, ask him, I don't know.