[comp.mail.elm] *.guide files

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (09/07/90)

I've recently built elm on a Sun 4 and have been unable to get the
Ref.guide and other *.guide files converted into something that I
can read with 'more'.  When I run the makefile, I get an error from
troff:

No /dev/cat: try -t or -a.

I editted the makefile and put in '-a' so now it doesn't error. The
output however is really unreadable.  An example follows.  As you can
see, the output lines appear longer than 80 columns.  There are also
many instances of "\(ru".  What is it that I should do to get these
into a readable format?

Dan Watts

 The Elm Reference Guide

 A comprehensive list of all commands,
 options and such to the Elm mail system

 Dave Taylor

 Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
 1501 Page Mill Road
 Palo Alto CA
 94304

 email: taylor@hplabs.HP.COM or hplabs!taylor

 >>> Elm is now in the public trust. Bug reports, comments, etc. to: <<<

 Syd Weinstein
 Datacomp Systems, Inc.
 3837 Byron Road
 Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006-2320

 email: elm@DSI.COM or dsinc!elm

 \(co Copyright 1986, 1987 by Dave Taylor
 \(co Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990 by The USENET Community Trust

 The Elm Reference Guide

 (Version 2.3)

 Dave Taylor
 Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
 1501 Page Mill Road
 Palo Alto CA
 94304

 email: taylor@hplabs.HP.COM or hplabs!taylor

 >>> Elm is now in the public trust. Bug reports, comments, etc. to: <<<

 Syd Weinstein
 Datacomp Systems, Inc.
 3837 Byron Road
 Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006-2320

 email: elm@DSI.COM or dsinc!elm

 May 1, 1990

1. Introduction

There are many parts to a complex software system and The Elm Mail System is no different. This document
describes fully all the options available in the mailer, including the command line options, the commands (in
considerably more detail than in The Elm Users Guide) and the .elm/elmrc file.

To be more explicit, this document covers: a discussion of the .elm/elmrc file, command line options of elm,
outgoing mail processing, responses of various commands, mail archive folders, the Alias system, system aliases
etc, more on the Elm utilities, and a section for expert mail users.
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!uunet!ki!dwatts                 Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/07/90)

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
:I've recently built elm on a Sun 4 and have been unable to get the
:Ref.guide and other *.guide files converted into something that I
:can read with 'more'.  When I run the makefile, I get an error from
:troff:

:No /dev/cat: try -t or -a.

:I editted the makefile and put in '-a' so now it doesn't error. The
:output however is really unreadable.  An example follows.  As you can
:see, the output lines appear longer than 80 columns.  There are also
:many instances of "\(ru".  What is it that I should do to get these
:into a readable format?

Try using nroff instead of troff.  Troff is for driving the phototypesetter
not for the screen, use nroff as your text formatter.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

In article <1990Sep7.001833.22781@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>Try using nroff instead of troff.  Troff is for driving the phototypesetter
>not for the screen, use nroff as your text formatter.

Thanks.  That made the output much better.  But now for another question.
Is there a way to get the text closer to the left margin?  My output seems
to have a 10 character indent for all text.  This causes some lines to
wrap past column 80.  I've also got some sequences of  <ESC>[9 in the text.
These seem to be on lines that are centered, but now always.  Sample output
follows.

          >>> Elm is now in the public trust. Bug reports, comments, etc. to: <
<<
                                    Syd Weinstein
                               Datacomp Systems, Inc.
                                   3837 Byron Road
                          Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006-2320
                          email: elm@DSI.COM  or  dsinc!elm
                        ^[8c^[9 Copyright 1986, 1987 by Dave Taylor
             ^[8c^[9 Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990 by The USENET Community Trust

9          Alias Users Guide                                     Version 2.3

9          1.  User Aliases

          The most simple type of aliases in the Elm system are  individual
          user aliases.  These are made up of three parts;

gerard@Bull.NL (GerardJan Vinkesteyn) (09/11/90)

In article <844@ki.UUCP>, dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
> In article <1990Sep7.001833.22781@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
> >Try using nroff instead of troff.  Troff is for driving the phototypesetter
> >not for the screen, use nroff as your text formatter.
>
> Thanks.  That made the output much better.  But now for another question.
> Is there a way to get the text closer to the left margin?  My output seems
> to have a 10 character indent for all text.  This causes some lines to
> wrap past column 80.  I've also got some sequences of  <ESC>[9 in the text.
> These seem to be on lines that are centered, but now always.  Sample output
> follows.

Nroff -man is used default as: nroff -man -T37, an old typewriter terminal.
This gives reversed linefeeds and such as esc sequences.
To overcome it use one of the others in /usr/lib/term, I have:
: tab2631      tab300-12    tab300s-12   tab382       tab450-12    taba1
: tab2631-c    tab300S      tab3404      tab4000A     tab832       tablp
: tab2631-e    tab300S-12   tab3404-i    tab4000a     tabX         tabtn300
: tab300       tab300s      tab37        tab450       tabX97

The offset can be changed with the offset command: .po
with parameters like
	.po 0		# no offset
	.po 1c		# 1 centimeter
	.po 1i		# 1 inch
	.po 3n		# 3 n-width chars
or combined with the -ms package:
	.nr PO 0		# no offset
	.nr PO 1c		# 1 centimeter
	.nr PO 1i		# 1 inch
	.nr PO 3n		# 3 n-width chars
--
Gerard Jan Vinkesteyn     	 \ /		Bull Netherlands
Internet: gerard@bull.n	    	  X		Hoogoorddreef 66-68

tanner@cdis-1.compu.com (Dr. T. Andrews) (09/12/90)

In article <3839@nlbull.Bull.NL> gerard@Bull.NL (GerardJan Vinkesteyn) writes:
) [ includes text mentioning ESC sequences in nroff output ]
) [ nroff default is for tty37; shows reverse motion as esc sequences ]
) To overcome it use one of the others in /usr/lib/term
No.  To overcome it, pipe the output through "col".  That way, you
should get output much closer to what was intended.

Now, the stock "col" has a nasty feature where it generates overstruck
output by using backspaces.  This is frightfully slow in many cases.
Write if you're interested in an alternative version which uses
carriage return instead.
--
uflorida!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner

gerard@Bull.NL (GerardJan Vinkesteyn) (09/14/90)

In article <000025W@cdis-1.compu.com>, tanner@cdis-1.compu.com (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> In article <3839@nlbull.Bull.NL> gerard@Bull.NL (GerardJan Vinkesteyn) writes:
> ) [ includes text mentioning ESC sequences in nroff output ]
> ) [ nroff default is for tty37; shows reverse motion as esc sequences ]
> ) To overcome it use one of the others in /usr/lib/term
> No.  To overcome it, pipe the output through "col".  That way, you
> should get output much closer to what was intended.

That is correct, I completely forgot about this.
But at least I explained how this stuff works with nroff.