[comp.mail.elm] Folder prefix character

jtc@wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (09/06/90)

The recent discussion on which character should be used as a folder
prefix has prompted several people to ask that it be specified while
running Configure or as an elmrc option.

The one problem I have with specifying the folder prefix char with
Configure is that it results in versions of elm whos default behavior
differ from one version to the next.

If the prefix char is specified in elmrc, the user has more control.
Given the same elmrc, the behavior of elm should be the same,
reguardless of Configure settings.

	--jtc

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (09/08/90)

I had just sat down to read write the summary on the folder prefix
discussion, when jtc@wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) writes:

>The recent discussion on which character should be used as a folder
>prefix has prompted several people to ask that it be specified while
>running Configure or as an elmrc option.

>The one problem I have with specifying the folder prefix char with
>Configure is that it results in versions of elm whos default behavior
>differ from one version to the next.

>If the prefix char is specified in elmrc, the user has more control.
>Given the same elmrc, the behavior of elm should be the same,
>reguardless of Configure settings.

J. T. has nailed it pretty good.  Here's how I'll do it:

The default character will be '='.  A '+' (or any other non-alphanumeric
printable character) will be allowed, but users must set them in their
elmrc files.

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (09/10/90)

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) wrote:
}
} >If the prefix char is specified in elmrc, the user has more control.
} >Given the same elmrc, the behavior of elm should be the same,
} >reguardless of Configure settings.
}
} J. T. has nailed it pretty good.

umm, since I said 'Configure', I'd better clarify my sloppy remark: I
meant to convey 'configurable'.  Therefore, I'm in agreement with the
statements above.

--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B

chaffee@reed.bitnet (Not Max) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep8.015452.801@lokkur.dexter.mi.us> scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:

>The default character will be '='.  A '+' (or any other non-alphanumeric
>printable character) will be allowed, but users must set them in their
>elmrc files.

Okay, as long as the user-specified character(s) doesn't overrule the '=' --
so that anyone on any elm can type '=' and get the default folder.

 - Alex