[comp.mail.elm] Reconfiguring without re-Configure-ing

chaffee@reed.bitnet (Not Max) (09/14/90)

I just installed elm 2.3PL6, and it works great (*), but now I'd like to
change a Configure option that got set incorrectly (the pathname of the
default editor).  But I don't want to go through the Configure script all
over again.  Is there any way I can just edit config.sh and then start
Configure right at the point that it makes all the configuration changes?
(I'm too scared to just cut out that part of the script and do it without
reassurance...)

 - Alex

(*)	An odd problem appeared at about the time I installed elm - the Full
	Name of *all* users, using *any* mailer, is the name of the system
	adminstrator, when mailing from any machine except our gateway
	machine (reed).  That is, the header reads "From: chaffee (Kent
	Black)".  It's not an environment variable; it's not an elm default
	-- any ideas?

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/15/90)

chaffee@reed.bitnet (Not Max) writes:
>I just installed elm 2.3PL6, and it works great, but now I'd like to
>change a Configure option that got set incorrectly (the pathname of the
>default editor).  But I don't want to go through the Configure script all
>over again.  Is there any way I can just edit config.sh and then start
>Configure right at the point that it makes all the configuration changes?
Almost, but you just edit config.sh and run the .SH files.  No need
to rerun configure.

Ie:  edit config.sh

then: sh Makefile.SH

and repeat for all files ending in .SH.  (in all the direcories)
Its that simple.  (And thats all configure does once it writes the
config.sh file anyway)

PS: This is not just true for Elm, it works for any Metaconfig
type product (The configure script is written by Metaconfig).
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep14.235753.23268@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>chaffee@reed.bitnet (Not Max) writes:
>>over again.  Is there any way I can just edit config.sh and then start
>>Configure right at the point that it makes all the configuration changes?

>Almost, but you just edit config.sh and run the .SH files.  No need
>to rerun configure.

I tried this, but for some reason or another, it didn't read the variables.
The final files had blank space where the variables were supposed to be!  I
fixed by by doing 'cat config.sh config.h.SH | sh'.

Oddly enough, I just tried it your way, and it worked fine.  Strange are the
ways of UNIX...

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.{UUCP,BITNET}