[comp.mail.elm] Elm wishlist & Problems with Configure in HP-UX

rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (09/11/90)

I hate to be a real bug-bear, cos I think Elm is really nice (honest), but
there's a couple of things (only two ?) that aren't quite right:

1. The 'lock' file created by Elm (usually /tmp/mbox.username) is a slight
   loophole. What if someone switches off their workstation (diskless I
   might add) whilst in the middle of Elm ? When they Elm again when they
   next login, it complains about the lock file and won't run. The user has
   to manually delete the lock file themselves and re-run.

   So what ? Well, /tmp is a+rw of course, so what's to stop someone else
   being a nuisance and creating a /tmp/mbox.username to annoy people ?
   And what if that /tmp/mbox.username is a directory ?

2. More importantly, I would really, really, really like the folder handling
   in Elm to use curses. Surely opendir/readdir/closeddir can be used to
   get a list of folders and then display them - then it's just a question
   of using the cursor keys to select the one you want to read. At the moment,
   a simple system("ls"); command to list folders (and then the user himself
   has to type the folder name) feels a little bit on the tacky side.

Oh, yes, I use Elm 2.3 PL6 on HP-UX 9000 Series 300 and 800 - the Configure
script gives me a 'd_flockon not found' warning during the 1001 Q&A session.
Further investigation reveals that the config.sh file created contains a
faulty line as follows (it's skipped anyway, so I wasn't too worried):

d_cuserid='undef'
d_flock='undef'
d_flockon               -> Truncated ? Should it be "d_flockonly='undef'" ?
tempnamc=''

Has anyone else with HP-UX machines had this problem ?

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          ***       Please note: New e-mail address !      ***

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (09/12/90)

In <1990Sep11.094714.17198@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk> rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk writes:

  | Oh, yes, I use Elm 2.3 PL6 on HP-UX 9000 Series 300 and 800 - the Configure
  | script gives me a 'd_flockon not found' warning during the 1001 Q&A session.
  | Further investigation reveals that the config.sh file created contains a
  | faulty line as follows (it's skipped anyway, so I wasn't too worried):
  |
  | d_cuserid='undef'
  | d_flock='undef'
  | d_flockon               -> Truncated ? Should it be "d_flockonly='undef'" ?
  | tempnamc=''
  |
  | Has anyone else with HP-UX machines had this problem ?

Yes, I had problems of the same kind. Doesn't seem to be a problem with
the Configure file, it's more likely '/bin/sh' that screws up. Using
"ksh Configure" works great for me...

						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

woof@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Steve Wolf) (09/13/90)

>> Has anyone else with HP-UX machines had this problem ?

> Yes, I had problems of the same kind. Doesn't seem to be a problem with
> the Configure file, it's more likely '/bin/sh' that screws up. Using
> "ksh Configure" works great for me...

/bin/sh has a bug where it gets confused if it is dealing with a large
number of environment variables.  It will be fixed in a future release.
The "ksh Configure" method is the preferred workaround.

--
Steve Wolf
Hewlett-Packard				UUCP: {ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof

This is not an official response of the Hewlett-Packard Company.

hbergh@oracle.nl (Herbert van den Bergh) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep11.094714.17198@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk> rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk writes:
>2. More importantly, I would really, really, really like the folder handling
>   in Elm to use curses. Surely opendir/readdir/closeddir can be used to
>   get a list of folders and then display them - then it's just a question
>   of using the cursor keys to select the one you want to read. At the moment,
>   a simple system("ls"); command to list folders (and then the user himself
>   has to type the folder name) feels a little bit on the tacky side.

Yeah! I was going to suggest it myself when I came across this message.
It would solve the "hierarchical mailbox" problem someone else was talking
about in a nice way too.
And then add news reading capabilities and wander through the subdirs
of /usr/spool/news in search of great suggestions to improve life.

--
Herbert van den Bergh, ORACLE Europe	hbergh@oracle.nl, hbergh@oracle.com
Rijnzathe 6, NL-3454 PV De Meern	uunet!mcsun!orcenl!hbergh