[comp.mail.elm] wordperfect as editor

jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) (08/30/90)

Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?  If so, would you let me
know about your successes and/or failures.  I would like users to be able to
draft e-mail with a minimum of fuss.  Thanks in advance for any helpful
information.  If there is interest, I'll post a summary of responses.

Jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov   or      uunet!fdls!jeff
Oregon Department of Agriculture
Export Center,  Portland, OR

tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) (08/31/90)

In <288@fdls.odag.or.gov> jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) writes:

>Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?  If so, would you let me
>know about your successes and/or failures.  I would like users to be able to
>draft e-mail with a minimum of fuss.

One of the great things about 'elm' is that you can use any editor you
have on your system to compose messages.  The trade-off is the speed with
which it loads, works, etc.  I tried using my full-featured word processor
(Crystal Writer) on my '286 UNIX box, but found that the time to load
the damned thing was so long that I hated waiting for it, just to do a
two or three line message.  Of course, other editors/word processors
on other systems would probably load faster.  An even better idea would
be a stripped down 'emacs' (or other programmable editor) which you
configure to run like your favorite word processor.
--
cc:Mail		Tim K. Evans at ~OSS
UUCP 		...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!tkevans

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/04/90)

Tim Evans comments, in response to a request from Jeff Hyatt, that:

> I tried using my full-featured word processor on my '286 UNIX box, but
> found that the time to load the damned thing was so long that I hated
> waiting for it, just to do a two or three line message.

As it turns out, that's the primary motivator for the builtin "editor":
it's where you can begin composition of your message without any overhead
at all, then, if you find yourself getting 'into it', you can use "~v"
to get vi, "~e" to get emacs, and "~o prog" to get program 'prog' started
with your editor of choice.

Of course, this doesn't lessen the awkwardness of the builtin "editor"
especially for a neophyte or non-technical user, but...

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

dickw@cnps.PHILIPS.nl (Dick Wiersma) (09/04/90)

tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

> In <288@fdls.odag.or.gov> jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) writes:

> >Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?  If so, would you let me
> >know about your successes and/or failures.  I would like users to be able to
> >draft e-mail with a minimum of fuss.

> One of the great things about 'elm' is that you can use any editor you
> have on your system to compose messages.  The trade-off is the speed with
> which it loads, works, etc.

We use elm here as the default mailer and for some people (the ones not
being familiar with vi) we have configured elm so that wp is started as the
editor (see configuration for that).
The only thing you have to notice is that:
a)  you save the file as an ASCII image (ctrl-F5), not using the normal save
    procedure,
b)  be sure your customized signature does not wrap around, because this is
    annoying.
Starting up if fairly fast (depending of course upon the performance of the
system).
Dick Wiersma         | Ned. Philips Bedrijven B.V.    | dickw@cnps.philips.nl
Philips C&P services | Postbus 218                    |    Tel.: (040-7)32354
VA-23                | 5600 MD  Eindhoven             |    Fax.: (040-7)35940

kamphau@oktext.sbc.com (Mark Kamphaus) (09/05/90)

In article <524@oss670.UUCP> tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>In <288@fdls.odag.or.gov> jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) writes:
>
>>Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?  If so, would you let me
>>know about your successes and/or failures.  I would like users to be able to
>>draft e-mail with a minimum of fuss.
>
>One of the great things about 'elm' is that you can use any editor you
>have on your system to compose messages.

Even though WordPerfect can be used, doesn't its embedding of
control characters in the text cause havok with sending files
in the WordPerfect format? To the receipiant?

If it works and can send readable WordPerfect formatted files, please
let me know. Otherwise, the workaround of generating a standard
(ascii) text output and '<' the file to elm can be used.

ror@grassys.bc.ca (Richard O'Rourke) (09/05/90)

In article <1153@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
> Tim Evans comments, in response to a request from Jeff Hyatt, that:
>
> > I tried using my full-featured word processor on my '286 UNIX box, but
> > found that the time to load the damned thing was so long that I hated
> > waiting for it, just to do a two or three line message.

The biggest problem (I think) that the original poster will have to
overcome is wp's inane and stubborn insistence on saving the edit
buffer to a wordperfect document.

If anyone has a command line defined macro for wp that overwrites the
default function key used for a document save to force an ascii save
please post it!  Otherwise, my users will never use email.  Sigh.

Richard O'Rourke: (604)438-8249      | Grass Root Systems: 436-1995
UUCP: uunet!van-bc!mplex!grassys!ror | Smart UUCP: ror@grassys.bc.ca
ror@grassys.wimsey.bc.ca             |

bill@wgc386.mv.com (William Gibbs) (09/05/90)

In <524@oss670.UUCP> tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>In <288@fdls.odag.or.gov> jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) writes:

>>Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?  If so, would you let me
>>know about your successes and/or failures.  I would like users to be able to
>>draft e-mail with a minimum of fuss.

>One of the great things about 'elm' is that you can use any editor you
>have on your system to compose messages.  The trade-off is the speed with
>which it loads, works, etc.  I tried using my full-featured word processor
>(Crystal Writer) on my '286 UNIX box, but found that the time to load
> [Stuff deleted]

I have a client that is using WordPerfect as an editor for elm.  The
major problem seems to be getting people to remember to save the file as
a UNIX text file and not as a WordPerfect file.  Also, there are complaints
about how slowly WP starts up.  What Elm needs is a nice, easy to use,
basic editor.

Bill

--
William Gibbs                                     bill@wgc386.mv.com
34G Bay Ridge Drive

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/07/90)

In <1990Sep5.105210.8865@wgc386.mv.com> bill@wgc386.mv.com (William Gibbs) writes:

>In <524@oss670.UUCP> tkevans@oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>>In <288@fdls.odag.or.gov> jeff@fdls.odag.or.gov (Jeff Hyatt) writes:

>>>Has anyone used WordPerfect as an editor for elm?

>>One of the great things about 'elm' is that you can use any editor you
>>have on your system to compose messages.  The trade-off is the speed with
>>which it loads, works, etc.

>about how slowly WP starts up.  What Elm needs is a nice, easy to use,
>basic editor.

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion in this discussion.  Get MicroEmacs,
mg2a, or other "little" EMACS, then do basic keybindings to make it
look and act like your favorite word processor.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

gerard@Bull.NL (GerardJan Vinkesteyn) (09/10/90)

In article <1721@fallst.UUCP>, tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> In <1990Sep5.105210.8865@wgc386.mv.com> bill@wgc386.mv.com (William Gibbs) writes:
>
> I'll repeat my earlier suggestion in this discussion.  Get MicroEmacs,
> mg2a, or other "little" EMACS, then do basic keybindings to make it
> look and act like your favorite word processor.

I use, with great satisfaction, Jove as an emacs like editor. It works
on both PC's and Unix.

--
Gerard Jan Vinkesteyn     	 \ /		Bull Netherlands
Internet: gerard@bull.n	    	  X		Hoogoorddreef 66-68

pgr@GroupW.cns.vt.edu (Patrick Robinson) (09/24/90)

In article <1310@cnps.PHILIPS.nl> dickw@cnps.PHILIPS.nl (Dick Wiersma) writes:
>We use elm here as the default mailer and for some people (the ones not
>being familiar with vi) we have configured elm so that wp is started as the
>editor (see configuration for that).
>The only thing you have to notice is that:
>a)  you save the file as an ASCII image (ctrl-F5), not using the normal save
>    procedure,
>b)  be sure your customized signature does not wrap around, because this is
>    annoying.
>Starting up if fairly fast (depending of course upon the performance of the
>system).

Are you people talking about DOS WordPerfect?  or Unix?  If you're
talking about DOS, -*-*- PLEASE -*-*- let me know where I can find a DOS
version of Elm...!

Thanks,
-Patrick