[comp.mail.elm] *Dumb Question* Does Elm Use Maps?

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/18/90)

Ok, Ok, get ready for a dumb question;

I tried to RTFM, but I could not find the answer!

Questions:

	Does Elm make use of the uunet maps? If yes how?

		Thank you in advance,
			Ethan
--
Ethan A. Lish     ----    301.652.0651    ----    {uunet}!thinc!ethan
Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc.,4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (09/24/90)

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:

>	Does Elm make use of the uunet maps? If yes how?

Elm spawns smail3 here on nstar - which uses the paths database
build by pathalias generated from the maps in comp.mail.maps

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.022937.6497@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
>
> >	Does Elm make use of the uunet maps? If yes how?
>
> Elm spawns smail3 here on nstar - which uses the paths database
> build by pathalias generated from the maps in comp.mail.maps

Greetings Larry-

	Thank you for the information about your site.

	*BUT* smail is not part of elm.  Smail/Sendmail/rmail are mailer
	agents that elm uses to transmit the mail. I think that the answer
	to my question is Elm does *NOT* make use of the usenet/Darpa maps.
	Smail/Sendmail *DO* make use of the maps, while rmail does *NOT*.

	Well, net.landers is this correct?

			Bye, Ethan
--

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/25/90)

ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
>	*BUT* smail is not part of elm.  Smail/Sendmail/rmail are mailer
>	agents that elm uses to transmit the mail. I think that the answer
>	to my question is Elm does *NOT* make use of the usenet/Darpa maps.
>	Smail/Sendmail *DO* make use of the maps, while rmail does *NOT*.

>	Well, net.landers is this correct?
Yes and no....  Elm can be configured to use a MTA for routing, or it
can be configured to do it itself.  If you tell Cofigure to have Elm
not touch outbound addresses, it doesn't use the map info.  If you
tell it to touch them, and provide the proper file name of the output
of running pathalias (the paths file), then it will route.  The answer
is if you run a routing MTA (smail/sendmail/MMDF) then make Elm not touch
addresses.  If you don't run one of those, let Elm route until you can
get one of those installed.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

ghost@robecdc.UUCP (William Sneed) (09/26/90)

In article <90@thinc.UUCP> ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
>In article <1990Sep24.022937.6497@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> ethan@thinc.UUCP (Ethan A. Lish of THINC) writes:
>> >	Does Elm make use of the uunet maps? If yes how?
>	to my question is Elm does *NOT* make use of the usenet/Darpa maps.
>	Smail/Sendmail *DO* make use of the maps, while rmail does *NOT*.
>
>	Well, net.landers is this correct?

Now you know the real deal! :-{>

Were that they were all so simple!!!

--
-William A. Sneed	 | All words are from me not my employer. All errors
-ghost@dc.robec.COM      | are mine, all the glory is mine, all the flames are