[comp.mail.elm] Filtering problem

geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) (09/27/90)

I recently set up a set of filters so that all the assorted consulting
mailing lists I am on don't flood my mail box.  So far so good but
I have discovered a strange behavior by the filter.

Several of the lists I am on have many members and when a user sends mail
to them the first person to reply to the users mail also Cc'c or Bcc's
to the mailing list so that no one else answers the question.

The filters I had set up were checking the "To:" field and I expected all the
not the mailing list itself (as it was in the Cc: field).
Imagine my happy surprise when the filter started filtering mail that
matched the criteria in the Cc: field.  This made thigs all the
better so I was happy to let it go but then I noticed that mail that
was Bcc'ed was _missing_ the filter.  I also noticed that my elmrc file
weedout list did not include "Bcc:" but when I was reading mail
(or deliberately looking at the full headers for a message) the Bcc: field
never appears.

I've talked to the local Unix guru and looked through the manual to see if this
was a known bug or feature but no luck.

My goal:  To find a way to filter mail by checking the Cc: and Bcc: field
          in my .elm/filter-rules.
          To find out why the Bcc: field seems to disappear when I am
          reading mail (but not when I am composing mail).

--
   geoffb@Dartmouth.EDU    | Student Consultant                 Fieyrnt!
  Alpha Theta TeddyBear.   | Kiewit Computation Center

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (09/27/90)

geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) writes:
>My goal:  To find a way to filter mail by checking the Cc: and Bcc: field
>          in my .elm/filter-rules.
>          To find out why the Bcc: field seems to disappear when I am
>          reading mail (but not when I am composing mail).
Hmm, sounds like a misunderstanding of Bcc. Bcc is Blind Carbon Copy,
it the recepient doesn't know that others are getting it, ie no record
is made of the people receiving it via bcc.  Thus the BCC list is not
part of the envelop and not available to Elm or Filter.  You cannot
see it when reading it because it is not there.  During composing,
it is faked so you can enter one, but it is stripped before the message
is sent.

As should be for blind carbon copy.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (09/27/90)

In article <who cares :-> geoffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) writes:
   >Several of the lists I am on have many members and when a user sends mail
   >to them the first person to reply to the users mail also Cc'c or Bcc's
   >to the mailing list so that no one else answers the question.

   >I've talked to the local Unix guru and looked through the manual to see if this
   >was a known bug or feature but no luck.
   >
   >My goal:  To find a way to filter mail by checking the Cc: and Bcc: field
   >          in my .elm/filter-rules.
   >          To find out why the Bcc: field seems to disappear when I am
   >          reading mail (but not when I am composing mail).

You'll only be able to check for the Cc: field as the Bcc:
field is not included in delivered mail message.  This is done
by the MTA (Mail Transport Agent [e.g. sendmail]).  BCC stands
for Blind Carbon Copy [sic] which allows a message to be sent
to an address (or mailing list) without this fact made known to
the To: and Cc: recipients (even if they look at the headers :-).
Yes, this could be done by sending separate mail messages but
it's cheaper (compute/disk effort) to do it this way.

	-Rusty-

--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty