[comp.mail.elm] Getting acknowledge of receipt

raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) (09/19/90)

Is there a way I could get an aknowledge when my message is recieved by the
other person(s), i.e adding a header or something like that?

----
Radames Aguayo (raguay17@hpprdea or radames_aguayo@hp5600)
Puerto Rico Manufacturing Operation
Information Technology Department
Telnet 882-6445  Others (809) 882-6445

raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) (09/24/90)

Thanks to those who responded using mail.  Now I know that the answer is to add
the Return-Receipt-To: header.

raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) (09/27/90)

Ok, for those of you who asked for more info, here is one of the answers I got
by mail. (Reprinted without permission)

rhg@cpsolv.CPS.COM (Richard H. Gumpertz) (10/01/90)

In article <1300006@hpprdea.HP.COM> raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) writes:
>Thanks to those who responded using mail.  Now I know that the answer is to add
>the Return-Receipt-To: header.

So who generates the response to the "Return-Receipt-To" header?  I see nothing
in elm that does it; what program at the receiving end does do it?
  | Richard H. Gumpertz             rhg@CPS.COM             (913) 642-1777 |
  | Computer Problem Solving, 8905 Mohawk Lane, Leawood, Kansas 66206-1749 |

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/01/90)

rhg@cpsolv.CPS.COM (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:
>So who generates the response to the "Return-Receipt-To" header?  I see nothing
>in elm that does it; what program at the receiving end does do it?
Its the MTA that does it, when the message is placed into the
mailbox.  Just like the post offices return receipt doesn't indicate
you read the letter, just that it was delivered, the e-mail return receipt
is the same, only indicates delivery.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (10/02/90)

In <547@cpsolv.CPS.COM> rhg@cpsolv.CPS.COM (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:

>In article <1300006@hpprdea.HP.COM> raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) writes:
>>Thanks to those who responded using mail.  Now I know that the answer is to add
>>the Return-Receipt-To: header.

>So who generates the response to the "Return-Receipt-To" header?  I see nothing
>in elm that does it; what program at the receiving end does do it?

It's real simple.

In $HOME/.elm/elmheaders, add the required line.  My elmheader file
is located below
From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM
Return-Receipt-To: steve@uspm650.Dayton.NCR.COM

Note that the X-Mailer line is included in this file.  It is not compiled
into elm itself.

The reason for this is that elm stuck it's own X-Mailer header below the
return receipt to, and our mail router required the "Return-Receipt-To"
be the last line prior to the message to function properly.

Of course, you could hack up elm to do this.  This is left as an
exercise to the reader :-)
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

das@trac2000.ueci.com (David Snyder) (10/02/90)

In article <547@cpsolv.CPS.COM>, rhg@cpsolv.CPS.COM (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:
>>Thanks to those who responded using mail.  Now I know that the answer is to add
>>the Return-Receipt-To: header.
>
> So who generates the response to the "Return-Receipt-To" header?  I see nothing
> in elm that does it; what program at the receiving end does do it?

I wrote a small patch for 'deliver.c' in smail2.5!  It seems to be working ok,
but I don't have the facilities to test it on BSD boxes.  If anyone wants to be
a guinna p... I mean a beta tester, let me know.  The patch is only 1819 bytes
and I'll send it to you.

DAS
--
David Snyder @ UE&C - Catalytic in Philadelphia, PA

UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!das     INTERNET:  das@trac2000.ueci.com

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (10/03/90)

In article <547@cpsolv.CPS.COM> rhg@cpsolv.CPS.COM (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:
>In article <1300006@hpprdea.HP.COM> raguay17@hpprdea.HP.COM (Radames Aguayo) writes:
>>Thanks to those who responded using mail.  Now I know that the answer is to add
>>the Return-Receipt-To: header.
>
>So who generates the response to the "Return-Receipt-To" header?  I see nothing
>in elm that does it; what program at the receiving end does do it?

The mail transport agent (ie: sendmail) on the final destination end is
responsible for this.

Some don't provide the functionality, in which case the request is silently
ignored.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com