[comp.mail.elm] ELM vs. SMAIL question

sfb@asdiris.UUCP (sfb) (10/02/90)

We are considering installing ELM. We are currently using SMAIL. Will
ELM replace SMAIL? Is it as good as SMAIL? I like the ability of SMAIL
to pull the comp.mail.maps from USENET and keep paths (relatively)
current. Anyway... Let me know of your opinions.

					Thanks,
					Steve

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (10/02/90)

In article <297@asdiris.UUCP> sfb@asdiris.UUCP (sfb) writes:

>We are considering installing ELM. We are currently using SMAIL. Will
>ELM replace SMAIL? Is it as good as SMAIL?

Actually, smail and elm work very nicely together. Elm is a Mail
User Agent (MUA) and smail is a Mail Transport Agent (MTA), you
need one of each in order to send and receive mail. Elm can be
used instead of whatever you are currently using for a MUA, and
can be easily configured to work with smail. Hope this helps!

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!cbmvax!gvlv2!markw

jms@informix.com (John Stephens) (10/02/90)

sfb@asdiris.UUCP (sfb) writes:

>We are considering installing ELM. We are currently using SMAIL. Will
>ELM replace SMAIL? Is it as good as SMAIL? I like the ability of SMAIL
>to pull the comp.mail.maps from USENET and keep paths (relatively)
>current. Anyway... Let me know of your opinions.

ELM is a mail reader, while SMAIL is a mail delivery agent.  They are
two disjoint pieces of a complete mail system.  A messge is generated
as the output of a mail reader or mail tool, and is then handed off to the
delivery agent, typically sendmail or, in this case, smail, which
interprets the addressing and routing of the message and transfers it to
the appropriate transport medium [ uucp, smtp, etc. ]

In answer to your original question (finally !), smail and elm are
quite compatible and will form the basis of a nice mail environment.

>					Thanks,
>					Steve

jms
| Jack Stephens      ..!{uunet|pyramid}!infmx!jms --or-- ..!jack!wzlr!jms |
| Systems Programmer "Into the valley of Death rode the 600...            |
| Informix Software      which allowed them to use the carpool lane."     |

jiii@sapphire.idbsu.edu (John Van Deusen - guest student) (10/04/90)

In article <971@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> markw@gvlf1-c.UUCP (Mark H. Weber)
writes:
> ... Elm is a Mail User Agent (MUA) and smail is a Mail Transport Agent
>  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM

Actually I think Elm, and /bin/mail and mailx, are correctly called user
agents (UA).  You need one of each, like he said.
--
jiii