[comp.mail.elm] Elm + NFS - why not soft-link ?

rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (10/05/90)

In article <mailnews.18010.654971633@newcastle.ac.uk>,
 C.R.Ritson@newcastle.ac.uk (Chris Ritson) writes:

> We have got a room full of  dataless  workstations,

a.k.a. "Diskless workstations" I assume :-)

>  where  a  student needs  to  be  able  to  go to any one of them
> to read mail.

A sensible assumption...

>  The HOME directory will be NFS mounted, but hopefully not the mail
> spool area.

A not-so-sensible assumption ! It all depends on how your users are
distributed (are you using the dreaded Yellow Pages for instance ?).
The nicest solution is to soft-link /usr/mail to one directory on an
NFS-mounted disk. The beauty of this is that reading mail is completely
consistent across all machines that have this soft-link. The major
disadvantage is if the disk (or - even worse - the machine) containing
the mail becomes dismounted for some reason - then you're stuck (temp.
unlinking back to a local /usr/mail is a tacky fix).

> Mail will be delivered to the user's home machine.  How can  the  user
> then invoke elm and not get trouble with locking.

The soft-link arrangement means then mbox.username files always get
created/deleted in a consistent fashion. It will also stop 2 invocations
of Elm by the same user on completely different diskless workstations.

> What we could do is
> give  people  .forward  files which cause filter to save all mail in a
> standard place in the user's home  directory.

Hmmm...I don't like the sound of this. What if your system implements
disk quotaing at a low system level (i.e. it's not HP-UX :-) ) ? Won't
you lose mail (or at least have to store it somewhere public - which
defeats the object really) ?

P.S. If you (or anyone else) are worried about unread e-mail using up
     precious space on one particular disk, then I could post up a
     mail expiry program I've written (works for BSD or System V) that
     expires unread e-mail after a certain period has elapsed (no, it's
     not a simple 'look at the timestamp of /usr/mail/username' - it
     actually parses individual messages and removes them if expired).

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *