[comp.mail.elm] Annoyiny Reply Problem

boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) (10/10/90)

I am running Elm 2.3 PL6 on a Sun4 system.  The way our mail is handled
here is that everyone has a home account (since they can have multiple
accounts), and their mail is directed there.  So, if my home account is
on host A, someone on host B can simply send mail to 'boerio', and it will
get routed to 'boerio@A' without that user having to worry about it.

Up until the time I installed Elm in a system directory (it has been
running off my home directory), whenever I would Reply to a message from
'user@B' (remember, I am on A), Elm would set the return address to be
'user' as expected.  Now, if I have received mail from 'user@B', and I
Reply to it, Elm forms the outbound address to be 'user@B'.

This is distressing because it should not happen.  As one of my Configure
options, I told Elm NOT to resolve outbound addresses.

If someone can tell me what has changed, and why Elm is now doing this, I
would appreciate it immensely.

     - Jeff

--
Jeff Boerio (boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu)
Purdue University ECN Software Support Programmer

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/10/90)

boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:
>If someone can tell me what has changed, and why Elm is now doing this, I
>would appreciate it immensely.
Elm is not resolving the outbound address, but fully qualifying the reply.
The reply came in as user@b and elm is sending it out that way.

Why: to avoid a potential conflict between a local alias and a remote
user name.  All replies are qualified the way the came in, ie the
From: and Reply-To: or From_ address is used.  Even local users
on the same machine are thusly qualified to avoid this conflict.

Until Elm gets rewritten to support a flag stating that an address
has already been aliases or no longer needs aliasing or some such,
for every address Elm handles, this is the workaround.  (and don't
expect such a rewrite any time soon)
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235