[comp.mail.elm] problem in remail.c after patch #7

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (10/08/90)

I get the following error on several BSD systems (different architectures):

cc   -I../hdrs    -c remail.c
E "remail.c",L120/C24:  submitflagss: Identifier is undeclared.

--
     Peter Schmitt					UNIX/VMS Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				Computing  Services

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (10/09/90)

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I get the following error on several BSD systems (different architectures):

>cc   -I../hdrs    -c remail.c
>E "remail.c",L120/C24:  submitflagss: Identifier is undeclared.
It looks like the patch file got corrupted after I built it, as my
patch file has the same mistake, but the master system doesn't.

Therefore for the moment, change submitflagss to submitflags
and it will be a 'hand written' one in the next patch.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

root@pfm.rmt.sub.org (Bernd Hennig) (10/09/90)

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:

>I get the following error on several BSD systems (different architectures):

>cc   -I../hdrs    -c remail.c
>E "remail.c",L120/C24:  submitflagss: Identifier is undeclared.

...and the same problem on Microport Unix with the gcc....

--
Bernd Hennig - Systemverw. PFM 		         bernd@pfm.rmt.sub.org
PFM UNIX Mail Server RHEIN/MAIN/TAUNUS, Mainz    root@pfm.rmt.sub.org

muller@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Keith Muller) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct9.005335.3528@pfm.rmt.sub.org>, root@pfm.rmt.sub.org (Bernd Hennig) writes:
> >cc   -I../hdrs    -c remail.c
> >E "remail.c",L120/C24:  submitflagss: Identifier is undeclared.

I havent tracked down the exact difference, but both are defined in:
hdrs/sysdefs.h:#define submitflags     "-mlrnxto,cc*"
hdrs/sysdefs.h:#define submitflagss    "-mlrn"

Could there be a macro expansion bug in your compilers? The code works as is
on 4.3BSD-tahoe and 4.3BSD-reno.

Keith Muller
university of california
muller@ucsd.edu

sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) (10/09/90)

Ihave just installed patch #7 with *NO* problems on a Solbourne running
Sun OS 4.0.3 equivalent.
--
                                         ____   _____     ____    ____
  Shane Youl                            /    \ /       / /    \  /    \

muller@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Keith Muller) writes:

>In article <1990Oct9.005335.3528@pfm.rmt.sub.org>, root@pfm.rmt.sub.org (Bernd Hennig) writes:
>> >cc   -I../hdrs    -c remail.c
>> >E "remail.c",L120/C24:  submitflagss: Identifier is undeclared.
>I havent tracked down the exact difference, but both are defined in:
>hdrs/sysdefs.h:#define submitflags     "-mlrnxto,cc*"
>hdrs/sysdefs.h:#define submitflagss    "-mlrn"

>Could there be a macro expansion bug in your compilers? The code works as is
>on 4.3BSD-tahoe and 4.3BSD-reno.
Looking at it more, in the light of day,  serves me right for staying up
late....

Please READ the patch instructions, you need to rerun Configure -d with
patch 7.  If you don't this isnt the only thing that won't work.

Now, I don't like the choice of submitflags and submitflagss, and I
might change that in patch 8 (remember I don't write the changes,
just coordinate them).   However, it did compile correctly here and
elsewhere.  Also, if there are problems with symbols that match
that far, well, that could be a problem at some sites.  However, it is
a problem in looking at the code, it looks too much like a mistake.
(Most likely I will add an _ before it, so it will still match that
far, just not look like a mistake)

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (10/11/90)

In <1990Oct9.050502.13757@dmp.csiro.au> sfy@dmp.csiro.au (Shane Youl) writes:

>Ihave just installed patch #7 with *NO* problems on a Solbourne running
>Sun OS 4.0.3 equivalent.

Ditto here on my IBM RS/6000, AIX 3.1 9021.... nary a hitch.
Could be the cpp problem that was previously suggested....

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu, glenns@eas.gatech.edu

news@uniol.UUCP (Postmaster Uniol) (10/11/90)

Hello !

Today i compile elm2.3,patch7 and get this error in remail.c too.
Then i read the patch7-Header, use Configure -d, compile twice and
it works fine.

Terra
! Nickname: Terra                     UUCP: terra@sol.north.de !
! Realname: Frank Simon               Geo:  mbk1: chaos-team   !
! Tel.    : +441 76206                EARN: 151133@DOLUNI1     !
! Der Unterschied zwischen Information und Zumuellen betraegt  !
!              genau einen Debug-Level ... (c) Herwig Henseler !