[comp.mail.elm] Elm releases?

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (11/03/90)

We recently downloaded version 2.3 of Elm from uunet.  It has a couple of
problems with VI relating to return codes, and we were advised by Mr.
Weinstein that a newer version would solve the problem.  Requests to the
archive server (name escapes me) have met with dead silence.  Does anybody
know where we could beg or buy the latest version?  I understand they're up
to around version 8....

/****************************************************************
 *          All of the above copyright by the below.            *
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *
 *    "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy."        *
 ****************************************************************/

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (11/06/90)

In article <27326340-6comp.mail.elm@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>Does anybody know where we could beg or buy the latest version?
>I understand they're up to around version 8....

Yes, there are 8 patches to elm 2.3 so far. You should be able get them via
anonymous uucp or ftp from uunet, among other sites. If you can't track them
down, send me email and I will mail them to you.

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!cbmvax!gvlv2!markw

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (11/07/90)

>Item: 6 by [Bill Cavanaugh]
>  Subj: Elm releases?
>  Keyw: version 2.3
>  Date: Sat Nov 03 1990 01:27
>  Lines:12
>27326340-6comp.mail.elm@tronsbox.xei.com
>
>We recently downloaded version 2.3 of Elm from uunet.  It has a couple of
>problems with VI relating to return codes, and we were advised by Mr.
>Weinstein that a newer version would solve the problem.
[rest of what you've probably already seen deleted]

Thank you to everyone who responded.  We've gotten patches 1 through 8
and installed them, and everything's running smoothly.

It's nice to know that a place like the net exists, where just about ANY
question will be answered within a week!

/****************************************************************

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (11/08/90)

In article <1056@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> markw@GVL.Unisys.Com (Mark H. Weber) writes:

>Yes, there are 8 patches to elm 2.3 so far. You should be able get them via
>anonymous uucp or ftp from uunet, among other sites. If you can't track them
>down, send me email and I will mail them to you.

You probably want to consider NOT installing patches 7 and 8.
I had problems with the message headers (and read about others having
the problem) after installing patch7.

--
Work:	heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201.ed.ray.com!heiser

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (11/08/90)

In article <3113@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>You probably want to consider NOT installing patches 7 and 8.
>I had problems with the message headers (and read about others having
>the problem) after installing patch7.

This was fixed in patch 8.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications Inc.
		...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc, jtc@wimsey.bc.ca

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/08/90)

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>You probably want to consider NOT installing patches 7 and 8.
>I had problems with the message headers (and read about others having
>the problem) after installing patch7.
I am not aware of any sites having problems with patch 7, that patch 8
didn't fix.

Patch 7 introduced two calling sequence errors that caused extra Sender:
lines.  It was fixed several days later by patch 8.

If anyone is having trouble caused by patch 7, and patch 8 didn't
fix it,  please e-mail me so we can correct the problem.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235