[comp.mail.elm] New User question on message ranges

dsew@troi.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) (11/15/90)

   We've just installed Elm 2.3 here, and I'm preparing a brief
introductory document to tell users what it's all about.  I intend to
sketch out Elm's advantages over Berkeley mail and Mush, but to be
fair will mention any limitations I'm aware of.
   So far there's only one significant feature of mail/mush I can't find
in Elm, and that's the ability to operate on a specified range of
messages by number, e.g. "s 2-4 7-11 ~/newfile".  Am I missing
something, even after reading the Reference Guide, or are range
operations in fact not implemented?

--
David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu || dsew%uhura.cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (11/17/90)

In article <10432@ur-cc.UUCP> dsew@troi.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) writes:

   >   So far there's only one significant feature of mail/mush I can't find
   >in Elm, and that's the ability to operate on a specified range of
   >messages by number, e.g. "s 2-4 7-11 ~/newfile".  Am I missing
   >something, even after reading the Reference Guide, or are range
   >operations in fact not implemented?

Since Elm is menu driven it has a different way of handling "ranges".
What you'd do is "tag" your messages with the 't' key then do a save.

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / CompSci Dept		DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty