i.e.
Date:       < note spaces
Time:              <spaces

When you close the file and are given the choices
e)dit message, edit h)eaders, s)end it, or f)orget it.
for disposition of the message, respond with "m" and only then respond
with "s" to send the form.  The "m" response (make form) SHOULD be
on that menu line but is not.
The receipiant will see "NF" on the incomming mail (New Form) and when
they give "r" (respond) each field will come to the screen, one at a
time, to be filled in.

Question: Is this a common bug or is it perculiar to my
implementation?   What is the fix?

Elm Version and Identification Information:

	Elm 2.3 PL5, of May 1, 1990
	(C) Copyright 1986, 1987 Dave Taylor
	(C) Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990 USENET Community Trust
	----------------------------------
	Configured Sat Jul 21 10:39:51 PDT 1990
	----------------------------------
	From: and Reply-To: addresses are good: USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES
	Return addresses will be optimized: OPTIMIZE_RETURN
	Prefers Internet address formats: INTERNET
	No debug options are available: not DEBUG
	Crypt function disabled: not CRYPT
	Mailbox editing included: ALLOW_MAILBOX_EDITING
	Calendar file feature enabled: ENABLE_CALENDAR
		(Default calendar file is calendar)

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/16/90)

rayj@camco.Celestial.COM (Ray Jones) writes:
>I finally figured out how to use the forms function of elm.
>There is a bug in elm that causes the system not to display the menu
>at the proper time, but if the response is given anyway the function
>does work.
[...]
>When you close the file and are given the choices
>e)dit message, edit h)eaders, s)end it, or f)orget it.
>for disposition of the message, respond with "m" and only then respond
>with "s" to send the form.  The "m" response (make form) SHOULD be
>on that menu line but is not.

What is on that menu depends on your user-level setting.  Their
are many times within elm that not all the valid commands appear
on the menu.  And what does appear depends on the user-level
setting.  That is one of them.

Its a design feature, not a bug.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Is it intentional that the parsing of the "Content-Type: mailform"
header is case-sensitive and no longer accepts forms created by
the AT&T PMX-mailers that use "Mailform"?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (11/20/90)

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

:Is it intentional that the parsing of the "Content-Type: mailform"
:header is case-sensitive and no longer accepts forms created by
:the AT&T PMX-mailers that use "Mailform"?
No.