[comp.mail.elm] ELM aliases expansion

ssridhar@risky.Convergent.COM (Srinivasan Sridhar) (11/16/90)

This is primarily to the ELM developers, but other users can share
their collective wisdom with me.  Having aliases with approximately
50-75 names cause aliases to expand into long lists.  So it the body
of a message is 10 lines, about 50 lines of text with reciepients'
names are in the mail header.  Is there any way to supress this?
i.e., an option in ELM asking the user to supress/expand aliases
when mailing to the entire list.

I'm sure many ELM users with large alias combinations would agree
to this as being a useful feature.

BTW, mailx/sendmail has this feature but other ELM features are far
and more superior ............

___
sridhar

ssridhar@convergent.com
				...This is the end  -Jim Morrison

tim@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (/// Moebius )) (11/19/90)

(Srinivasan Sridhar) writes:

>names are in the mail header.  Is there any way to supress this?
>i.e., an option in ELM asking the user to supress/expand aliases
>when mailing to the entire list.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's happened before) but try sending the mail
to yourself or any other singular user.  Then, before sending the message
change the 'Bcc:' header to point to your aliases.

Alternatively, set up a scriptfile which mails each user individually some
given file.

--
+--- /~~| /~~~\ --------------------------------------------------------------+
|   /   | \/~\ \    Tim Elliott:  Anxiously Awaiting The Yankovic World Tour  |

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov17.025038.16916@lokkur.dexter.mi.us> scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:

>ssridhar@risky.Convergent.COM (Srinivasan Sridhar) writes:

>>This is primarily to the ELM developers, but other users can share
>>their collective wisdom with me.  Having aliases with approximately
>>50-75 names cause aliases to expand into long lists.  So it the body
>>of a message is 10 lines, about 50 lines of text with reciepients'
>>names are in the mail header.  Is there any way to supress this?
>>i.e., an option in ELM asking the user to supress/expand aliases
>>when mailing to the entire list.

>>I'm sure many ELM users with large alias combinations would agree
>>to this as being a useful feature.

>>BTW, mailx/sendmail has this feature but other ELM features are far
>>and more superior ............

>It would be a nice feature, but it's not amenable to an elm-only solution.

>In elm, you have personal aliases which are known only to you (or in
>the case of Elm system aliases, only to other Elm users).  You generate
>mail with elm, then hand it off to a "delivery agent" to be delivered.

>The mailx/sendmail you cite are typical delivery agents.  When a
>message reaches a delivery agent for processing, the delivery agent
>checks all the names that appear local (eg, "someone@this.system" or
>simply "someone") against an alias list.  If it finds the alias in the
>list, it silently expands that alias into all the recipients and
>explodes the mail out to all of them without putting them all in
>the 'To:' field.

>For elm aliases to work as you describe, all delivery agent(s) would
>have to be modified.  They would have to look back into your account,
>find the alias, expand it silently, then do the delivery.  That's an
>interesting idea, but it's not something that's under the control of
>elm or the elm developers.

Here, we use smail as our delivery agent.  To avoid the lines and lines
of expanded aliases, I set up distribution lists and let smail expand
the aliases contained in the distribution lists.  This avoids the lines and
lines of expanded aliases.

To make the distribution lists known to elm, I but a sample entry
in /usr/local/lib/aliases.text (just an example):

	all = All Tower Users = all

This alias (for elm) referes to all the users on my 2 machines.

Then, for smail in /usr/lib/mail/aliases, I have the following
entry:

	all		distlist:/usr/lib/mail/all.dist

Of course, the corresponding entry has to be made in /usr/lib/mail/rmail.cf:

	MAILER	distlist
		readfile %I

And it works just fine.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)