[comp.mail.elm] Why is domain added to local address on reply?

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (11/15/90)

I recently upgraded from 2.2 and am running 2.3 PL8.  I now find that when I
reply to a message from a local user, the full local hostname with domain is
attached to the address;  i.e., if I got mail from "joe" and I use reply, the
reply is addressed to "joe@rex.cs.tulane.edu".  No harm is done, but it is
annoying.  I checked my configuration and am sure that USE_DOMAIN is not
defined.  I do not see anything else in the configuration that might cause
this.  Also, I have dug through the code of reply.c and addr_util.c a bit and
cannot determine where this is being done.  Please note that this does not
happen if I address mail to "joe";  it happens only on reply to a local user.

Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  Thanks.

boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) (11/15/90)

In <4963@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:

>attached to the address;  i.e., if I got mail from "joe" and I use reply, the
>reply is addressed to "joe@rex.cs.tulane.edu".  No harm is done, but it is
>annoying.  I checked my configuration and am sure that USE_DOMAIN is not

I know this problem as well.  It is a quick fix for another problem
(according to a response of my query on this topic).  Apparently, Elm may
become confused between aliases and local addresses.

>Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  Thanks.

I suppose you could edit the source to prevent it from doing this.  I
haven't taken the time at this point to do it.

     - Jeff

--
Jeff Boerio (boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu)
Purdue University ECN Software Support Programmer

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (11/20/90)

In <boerio.658676347@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu> boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:

>In <4963@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:

>>Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  Thanks.

>I suppose you could edit the source to prevent it from doing this.  I
>haven't taken the time at this point to do it.

The "fix" is to comment out the whole #ifdef INTERNET ... #endif around
line 342-ish in src/returnadd.c, but like Jeff says it *may* have
side-effects (though we haven't experienced any here).

Tim

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (11/21/90)

In article <5269@ecs.soton.ac.uk> tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
>In <boerio.658676347@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu> boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:

>>In <4963@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>>>Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  Thanks.
>The "fix" is to comment out the whole #ifdef INTERNET ... #endif around
>line 342-ish in src/returnadd.c, but like Jeff says it *may* have
>side-effects (though we haven't experienced any here).

I too object to this "feature" ... but was wondering if a compromise would be
in order.

Modify the pertinent code so that, at least in my case (leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com)
anything at csd.harris.com or below does not get modified, while stuff above
it does (csd.harris.com IS our link to the internet) ... sound reasonable?

If I remember correctly, Configure asks about the domain ... maybe it could
ask for something like this as well?

No, I am not volunteering my efforts ... I am not much of a programmer.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (11/21/90)

In article <5269@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
> In <boerio.658676347@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu> boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:
>
> >In <4963@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) writes:
>
> >>Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  Thanks.
>
> >I suppose you could edit the source to prevent it from doing this.  I
> >haven't taken the time at this point to do it.
>
> The "fix" is to comment out the whole #ifdef INTERNET ... #endif around
> line 342-ish in src/returnadd.c, but like Jeff says it *may* have
> side-effects (though we haven't experienced any here).
>
> Tim

Is this a problem if one is using aliases as the comment above it implies:
	  /*
	   * KLUDGE ALERT - DANGER WILL ROBINSON
	   * We can't just leave a bare login name as the return address,
	   * or it will be alias-expanded.
	   * So we qualify it with the current host name (and, maybe, domain).
	   * Sigh.
	   */

	  if (chloc(buffer, '@') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '%') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '!') < 0)
	  {
#ifdef INTERNET
	    sprintf(buffer + strlen(buffer), "@%s", hostfullname);
#else
	    strcpy(buf, buffer);
	    sprintf(buffer, "%s!%s", hostname, buf);
#endif
	  }

Does this mean that if the local login name is the same as an alias it will
be expanded by the alias code?