[comp.mail.elm] Use of USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (11/20/90)

I've recently recompiled ELM to not USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES for
replying to mail.  I needed to this because the "From:" line
often contained a persons name (J.K.Doe) that was not replyable to.
This newly configured version now uses the address from the "From"
line for replys.

The side effect of this is that when I read mail with ELM, the sender
that is displayed is the mail address from the "From" line, not the
name on the "From:" line; unless the "From:" line has an address
followed by a name in parentheses, in which case the name in parentheses
is displayed.

What I'm trying to do is keep the message display the way it was prior
to configuring to not USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES.  I DID NOT expect
that parameter to change the message display.  I expected it only to
change the selection of the reply address.

Ken Roser, ker@mtgzy.att.com

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.140205.9824@cbnewsj.att.com>, ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:

> I've recently recompiled ELM to not USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES for
> replying to mail.  I needed to this because the "From:" line
> often contained a persons name (J.K.Doe) that was not replyable to.
> This newly configured version now uses the address from the "From"
> line for replys.

What I didn't mention in the original posting is that the name on the "From:"
line was being treated as a local login name (because there were no @ % or !
characters in it) and the domain was tacked on to it.
Everything would have been okay if the name was untouched because our
mailer knows how to expand names in this form to valid addresses.

As I see it I have two possible solutions:

1.) Comment out the code that tacks on the domain name.  This might affect
	alias processing as the comment above it implies.

2.) In returnadd.c modify the code at line 337-339 (ELM 2.3 PL8) as follows:

ORIGINAL:
	  if (chloc(buffer, '@') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '%') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '!') < 0)
	  {
MODIFIED:
	  if (chloc(buffer, '@') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '%') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '.') < 0
	   && chloc(buffer, '!') < 0)
	  {

This (untested) code would treat names like j.k.doe as non-local login names,
thus preventing the addition of the domain.

Any comments?