[comp.mail.elm] Question on filter and mailing lists

dsew@troi.cc.rochester.edu (David Sewell) (11/21/90)

I've just begin using the filter program, which is a godsend to mailing
list subscribers.  I do have a question about the possibility of
filtering out mail from a particular sender on a distributed list.
Given the following relevant header lines:

> From MBU-L@ttuvm1.ttu.edu  Wed Nov 21 02:35:07 1990
> Sender: "Megabyte University (Computers & Writing)" <MBU-L%TTUVM1.BITNET@
  ttuvm1.ttu.edu>
> From: ANNOYINGMAN%SITE.BITNET@ttuvm1.ttu.edu

what I did was to write this filter rule:

     if (from contains "ANNOYINGMAN") then delete

but it didn't work; filter takes this action on the message:

     Mail from MBU-L%TTUVM1.BITNET@ttuvm1.ttu.edu about [...]
        PUT in mailbox: the default action

Apparently filter takes the incoming message and uses the "Sender:" or
"Reply-To" field as the "from" field?  Is there anything I can do about
this, or is this a built-in limitation of the current filter program
when a message has different actual and logical senders?
--
David Sewell, English Dep't, University of Rochester, New York USA
dsew@uhura.cc.rochester.edu || dsew%uhura.cc.rochester.edu@uorvm.BITNET