[comp.mail.elm] elm option "-V"

dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) (11/21/90)

When I use the elm option "-V" (it's usefull, I use it often), the
sendmail output moves the screen up. I do not like that, especially
if I'm in the editor.
Is there a solution without using ^L (I'm very lazy :-) ?

Or can we say, it's a bug?

Daniel
--
Daniel Huber AD-KT2.6   PHONE:  +41 31 52 96 64
Ascom Autelca AG        FAX:    +41 31 52 53 01

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Boldbear) (11/23/90)

In article <1137@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) writes:
>When I use the elm option "-V" (it's usefull, I use it often), the
>sendmail output moves the screen up. I do not like that, especially
>if I'm in the editor.
>Is there a solution without using ^L (I'm very lazy :-) ?
>
>Or can we say, it's a bug?

It's a feature.

It's sendmail, not elm, that prints out those messages.  Elm would
have to redraw the screen just after sendmail runs.

Elm would have to know what's on the screen to redraw it. Now if
elm used curses, this would be no problem since the curses software
keeps track of what's on the screen and a simply refresh() can be
issued to redraw it. But elm doesn't use curses and frankly has
no idea of what's on the screen when this function that executes
sendmail runs.
--
Rob Bernardo                             Mt. Diablo Software Solutions    _ /
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US        phone: (415) 827-4301           <_/_><