[comp.mail.elm] Limit on number of msgs in folder?

eleight@bali.amd.com (Elizabeth Leight) (11/27/90)

Is there a limit on the number of messages in a folder that ELM can
handle?  We're running ELM 2.3 PL8; someone in my group has a folder
with over 1,000 mail messages, and plain mail handles it okay,
but in elm, the messages are displayed strangely, starting in the
middle of messages, as though pointers to the tops of messages are
messed up.

Elizabeth Leight
Advanced Micro Devices
Austin, TX
eleight@cayman.amd.com

elsn4000@mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de (Frank Elsner) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.172740.16675@mozart.amd.com> eleight@bali.amd.com (Elizabeth Leight) writes:
>Is there a limit on the number of messages in a folder that ELM can
>handle?  We're running ELM 2.3 PL8; someone in my group has a folder
>with over 1,000 mail messages, and plain mail handles it okay,
>but in elm, the messages are displayed strangely, starting in the
>middle of messages, as though pointers to the tops of messages are
>messed up.

I can't produce the effect you've described on a folder with 1749 messages in.
I'm using:

	Elm 2.3 PL8, of May 1, 1990
	(C) Copyright 1986, 1987 Dave Taylor
	(C) Copyright 1988, 1989, 1990 USENET Community Trust
	----------------------------------
	Configured Fri Nov 16 13:19:06 MEZ 1990
	----------------------------------
	From: and Reply-To: addresses are good: USE_EMBEDDED_ADDRESSES
	Return addresses will not be optimized: not OPTIMIZE_RETURN
	Prefers Internet address formats: INTERNET
	Debug options are available: DEBUG
	Crypt function enabled: CRYPT
	Mailbox editing included: ALLOW_MAILBOX_EDITING
	Calendar file feature enabled: ENABLE_CALENDAR
		(Default calendar file is calendar)

Frank Elsner (TUBerlin/ZRZ Postmaster)

In article <1990Nov26.172740.16675@mozart.amd.com> eleight@bali.amd.com (Elizabeth Leight) writes:

>Is there a limit on the number of messages in a folder that ELM can
>handle?  We're running ELM 2.3 PL8; someone in my group has a folder
>with over 1,000 mail messages, and plain mail handles it okay,
>but in elm, the messages are displayed strangely, starting in the
>middle of messages, as though pointers to the tops of messages are
>messed up.

I've seen this happen when one or more of the messages contains
NULL characters, regardless of the number of messages in the folder.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us