[comp.mail.elm] Bouncing mail header

havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Mark Havens) (11/27/90)

Hi.

I just noticed that when I bounce a message to someone, they receive
it as if it were from me, and with no subject.  Isn't it supposed to
go to the person I send it to and appear as if the original sender sent
it to them? Is there something in one of the patches that does this?
I'm running version 2.3 PL6, on an HP-UX, and a BSD machine. Any ideas?

Mark

Mark Havens               | _   /|  -ACK!    | mhavens@longs.lance.colostate.edu
(303) 484-9317            | \'o.O'  -PFHHHT! | havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu
1117 City Park Ave. - B8  | =(___)= -COUGH!  | "Always pay attention to the
Ft. Collins, CO  80521    |    U    -ACK!    |  man behind the curtain!"

In article <11401@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Mark Havens) writes:

>I just noticed that when I bounce a message to someone, they receive
>it as if it were from me, and with no subject.  Isn't it supposed to
>go to the person I send it to and appear as if the original sender sent
>it to them? Is there something in one of the patches that does this?
>I'm running version 2.3 PL6, on an HP-UX, and a BSD machine. Any ideas?

ELM leaves the From: line alone in this case, but many mail transports
will not allow you to specify a From: other than yourself.  It sounds
like your mail transport program is replacing the From: (sometimes they
leave the From: line alone but insert as Sender: header to indicate
the real user submitting the message).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us