[comp.mail.elm] How to make selective use of prefix string

st@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Stephen Thompson) (12/04/90)

Warning: I'm at the beginner lever of elm use.

When I forward mail, it's usually digests and similar items which I don't want
to use my prefix string (">") with.  Conversely, when I reply to mail, I
want to prefix the mail to which I reply.  As far as I can figure, elm uses
one string ("prefix" in elmrc) for both purposes.

What is the best way to supress the prefix or set it to null when forwarding,
yet use it or set it to non-null when replying?

Thanks,
Stephen W. Thompson, University of Pennsylvania
Institute for Reseach on Higher Education
thompson@a1.quaker.upenn.edu OR st@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
--
Stephen W. Thompson, 215-898-4585
Institute for Research on Higher Education, University of Pennsylvania

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (12/04/90)

st@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Stephen Thompson) writes:

>When I forward mail, it's usually digests and similar items which I don't want
>to use my prefix string (">") with.  Conversely, when I reply to mail, I
>want to prefix the mail to which I reply.  As far as I can figure, elm uses
>one string ("prefix" in elmrc) for both purposes.

>What is the best way to supress the prefix or set it to null when forwarding,
>yet use it or set it to non-null when replying?
Their is a little used 'feature' when you forward.  If you say,
no to edit the message, it doesn't add the prefix.  Then if you
want to edit it, say edit at the 'send/edit/headers' menu.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (12/04/90)

In article <33946@netnews.upenn.edu> st@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Stephen Thompson) writes:
>Warning: I'm at the beginner lever of elm use.
>
>When I forward mail, it's usually digests and similar items which I don't want
>to use my prefix string (">") with.  Conversely, when I reply to mail, I
>want to prefix the mail to which I reply.  As far as I can figure, elm uses
>one string ("prefix" in elmrc) for both purposes.
>
>What is the best way to supress the prefix or set it to null when forwarding,
>yet use it or set it to non-null when replying?

Whether or not the prefix string is included depends on how you answer the
question "Edit outgoing message? (y/n)" which is asked after you use the
"f" command. If you answer "y", the string is included, if you answer "n" it
is not. My favorite solution to this is to "lie" to elm, and answer "n" so
that the prefix string is not inserted. After the message has been constructed,
I go back and edit the message if I want to, using the last chance "edit"
option of the "send" menu which appears just before you launch your message.

Hope this helps!

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!cbmvax!gvlv2!markw

In article <33946@netnews.upenn.edu> st@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Stephen Thompson) writes:

>When I forward mail, it's usually digests and similar items which I don't want
>to use my prefix string (">") with.  Conversely, when I reply to mail, I
>want to prefix the mail to which I reply.  As far as I can figure, elm uses
>one string ("prefix" in elmrc) for both purposes.

You might want to use b)ounce instead of f)orward to resend that type of
message leaving it completely unchanged.  If your mail transport allows
you to lie about the sender, it will appear to be from the original
sender as well.

>What is the best way to supress the prefix or set it to null when forwarding,
>yet use it or set it to non-null when replying?

If you are set up to automatically invoke an editor you could also use
its search and replace to quickly remove them.  In vi ":%s/^> //" would
do it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us