[comp.mail.elm] elm and encrypion

baux@sm14.ec.bull.fr (Andre Baux) (12/10/90)

Let's say that i'd like to prevent even the administrator
of my machine to read my mail. So, the mail should be encrypted
when delivered localy into the spool (something via /etc/passwd ?),
and uncrypted on demand when reading messages under elm.
Anything doing this ? or any idea about the possibility ?

Andre Baux, baux@ec.bull.fr
(P.S: please, excuse my english)

boyce@hemel.bull.co.uk (David Boyce) (12/11/90)

baux@sm14.ec.bull.fr (Andre Baux) writes:

>Let's say that i'd like to prevent even the administrator
>of my machine to read my mail. So, the mail should be encrypted
>when delivered localy into the spool (something via /etc/passwd ?),
>and uncrypted on demand when reading messages under elm.
>Anything doing this ? or any idea about the possibility ?

>Andre Baux, baux@ec.bull.fr
>(P.S: please, excuse my english)

It never rains but it pours ...

I was about to post an article asking whether there exists any capability in
elm to execute a script when opening a folder and another when leaving it.  This
seems to be quite similar to the functionality asked for above.

What I have in mind for this putative functionality is the ability to
have compressed folders when I am not using the folder, then have elm run
a script containing uncompress (or a similar tool) when the folder is opened,
and then running another script containing compress when leaving the folder.

My motive for wanting this functionality is to save space (to please my
sysadmin rather than to fool him ... although it would be possible with such
a feature).

--
David Boyce	(David.Boyce@hemel.bull.co.uk)

/----\          Tel: +44-442-232222 x4468	BULL HN Information Systems Ltd.