From office.wang.com!person1 <timestamp>
From: person1@office.wang.com (Original Sender)
Subject: Original Subject
To: myboss@wang.com
etc...

(For the uninitiated, MMDF uses the string of ^As as a message separator.)
Boss forwarded it by piping it into mail: "mail -s 'Subject' fitz < folder"

When it showed up in my mailbox, the first ^A had been replaced by a space
(I don't know by whom) but the other ^As were intact, and the message
looked like:

^A^A^A^A
From elf.wang.com!myboss <timestamp>
From: myboss@wang.com (Fitz's Boss)
To: fitz
Subject: Subject

 ^A^A^A
From office.wang.com!person1 <timestamp>
From: person1@office.wang.com (Original Sender)
To: myboss@wang.com
etc...

(It starts getting interesting now).  When I replied to it, Elm showed me
the "To: Fitz's Boss" on the right while it was prompting me for the
subject.  When I sent it, person1 got it instead.  The message Elm sent
had in its header:

To: person1@office.wang.com (Fitz's Boss)

which is the most intriguing part - it combined the fullname from the real
header with an address found only in the body of the message, and made the
result the destination of the reply.  Elm definitely built it that way
because I went through the same procedure and looked at the outgoing
message headers, and that's what the header screen showed.

I haven't had time to look at the code, and may not for a while; if anyone
has any ideas, I'd be curious.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (12/12/90)

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
>I found a neat way to embarrass myself.  My boss received a mailmessage and
>forwarded it to me, and I replied to it.  Elm informed me that it was
>sending the reply to my boss.  But it didn't, it sent the reply to the
>person who had sent the original message.
This has already been fixed.  What happened was that you told Elm
to trust Reply-To and From: headers.  However, a but made it not
find the end of the envelop correctly in all cases, such as yours when
the first line of the message started with a blank.  (If that ^A hadn't
been turned into a blank you would have been ok).  The fix was in
patch 9.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235