[comp.mail.elm] Elm under Sunview/Xview

Andy Hooper <HOOPER@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/14/90)

I've just installed Elm 2.3 on a Sun running Openwindows, and found a bit of
trouble on the screen displays in windows with scrolling enabled. After
digging into the curses and terminfo man pages, it seems that Elm should be
sending the enter_ca_mode (aka. smcup) string to the terminal before trying
to do menu displays, and then exit_ca_mode (rmcup) when leaving. I'm new
to Elm, and apologize if this has been covered here previously.
-----
Andy Hooper         Queen's University, Kingston, Canada

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (12/15/90)

HOOPER@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Andy Hooper) writes:
>I've just installed Elm 2.3 on a Sun running Openwindows, and found a bit of
>trouble on the screen displays in windows with scrolling enabled. After
>digging into the curses and terminfo man pages, it seems that Elm should be
>sending the enter_ca_mode (aka. smcup) string to the terminal before trying
>to do menu displays, and then exit_ca_mode (rmcup) when leaving. I'm new
>to Elm, and apologize if this has been covered here previously.
Elm should not be run in a 'scrolling' window, but in a 'shelltool'
type window (non scrolling).

The smcup/rmcup concept is non standard and very non portable, its
a function of Sun's cmdtool type window, and its Openwindow equivalent
and it is used to turn off the scrolling, which if is not necessary if
Elm is run in the proper window type.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/18/90)

Alright, I realize this has nothing to do with running Elm under anything,
but I was wondering... where can I get the newest version of elm.  Here,
we are using 2.1 pl1.

THanks.

aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu