[comp.mail.elm] Elm under X11?

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) (12/05/90)

Has anyone done anything at all to make elm more useful under X11?

Such as allowing it to come up as an icon, and actually delete and/or
save messages everytime it is re-iconified, rather than wait until it
is exited?

Thanks for any hints.
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (12/05/90)

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
>Such as allowing it to come up as an icon, and actually delete and/or
>save messages everytime it is re-iconified, rather than wait until it
>is exited?
I wouldn't want it do take the action on iconfication.  I sometimes
quickly iconify something just to make more desktop room.  However,
the $ (resync) command will do that action for you.  Why not just
resync before iconification.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

uk1@sirius.rice.edu (Paul A. Scowen) (12/05/90)

Or how about an X interface (sim. xmail or xmh).  Right now I use a tasked xterm
from a menu, but some of the users here actually prefer to use xmail because
they can just "press the buttons"!  Also, most of the people here think that
vi is the biggest dinosaur around and would prefer to be able to use an xedit
type editor for elm, in X11.  What do you think ELM-guys?

--
Paul Scowen
Department of Space Physics

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (12/06/90)

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) writes:

>Has anyone done anything at all to make elm more useful under X11?

>Such as allowing it to come up as an icon, and actually delete and/or
>save messages everytime it is re-iconified, rather than wait until it
>is exited?

Two issues here, really.  First, is the performance you ask for
really desireable?  I'd say no.  Currently I run elm in an xterm
window to our mail host.  Iconifying the window usually means I
want screen space, not deletion/saving.

Second, unless I radically misunderstand X there is no way for a non-X
application to detect such an event.  An X version of elm would be
nice, but it's far far in the future.
--
"SO be it!  The fate of the UNIVERSE is in your hands!"
"Talk about job-related stress."

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (12/08/90)

uk1@sirius.rice.edu (Paul A. Scowen) writes:
|from a menu, but some of the users here actually prefer to use xmail because
|they can just "press the buttons"!  Also, most of the people here think that

SO, they're idiots. (i know, opinions are cheap.) Elm is infintely better
than xmail, to me. I mean, looking at a menu and hitting a single key
just isn't much different than pressing a button for simplicity.

Having said that, I wish I had time to do an X elm. But I don't.

To help, maybe.

|vi is the biggest dinosaur around and would prefer to be able to use an xedit
|type editor for elm, in X11.  What do you think ELM-guys?

So let them use xedit. Elm is configurable. Let them change their
editor. They're already in X, so what's the difficulty?

-Miles

gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (12/09/90)

In article <982@iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
>Such as allowing it to come up as an icon, and actually delete and/or
>save messages everytime it is re-iconified, rather than wait until it
>is exited?

Elm will process the current folder when you change to another folder.  I keep
Elm up all day in its own window and prior to iconifying it I change to
an empty folder which causes all the Deleted messages to go away and lets
my inbox empty.  Since the folder I change in to is empty there is as close
to 0 overhead in doing this as can be.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (12/10/90)

gary@proa.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) writes:

| Elm will process the current folder when you change to another folder.  I keep
| Elm up all day in its own window and prior to iconifying it I change to
| an empty folder which causes all the Deleted messages to go away and lets
| my inbox empty.  Since the folder I change in to is empty there is as close
| to 0 overhead in doing this as can be.

Try using the "$" command instead -- this will resynchronize your
current folder (delete the marked messages and check for incoming
new ones) without the overhead of switching to another folder.

I run Elm in an XTerm with font sizes ranging from 8 to 24 point.  I
just leave Elm running in a tiny font so that I can see if there are
incoming messages, but then expand the window to a larger font to
actually read the messages (I'd love to use XBiff, but my mail comes
into a machine that doesn't have X on it).

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (12/11/90)

In <epeterso.660839739@houligan>, epeterson@encore.com writes:
>Try using the "$" command instead -- this will resynchronize your
>current folder (delete the marked messages and check for incoming
>new ones) without the overhead of switching to another folder.

  Ya know, I don't have the ability (I'm just learning how to *use* X
properly, much less program for it), but I was thinking it mustn't be
too difficult to add something that'll resynch the folder when it's
iconified & deiconified. (Or resynch it when you close it, then when
it opens have it go and check for new mail.)

> (I'd love to use XBiff, but my mail comes into a machine that
> doesn't have X on it).

  Huh? I don't understand .. how can you read it if it comes in on
another machine? If you're NFS mounting it, biff will work. (Or
perhaps I'm missing something.)

--
    Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
 Widener University in Chester PA              A Bloody Sun-vs-Dec War Zone

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (12/11/90)

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

| In <epeterso.660839739@houligan>, epeterson@encore.com writes:
| > (I'd love to use XBiff, but my mail comes into a machine that
| > doesn't have X on it).
|
|   Huh? I don't understand .. how can you read it if it comes in on
| another machine? If you're NFS mounting it, biff will work. (Or
| perhaps I'm missing something.)

You're missing something.  I get my mail on Houligan.  But Houligan
doesn't have the X libraries installed.  Therefore, I can't compile
XBiff on Houligan.  Therefore, I can't use XBiff to get my mail.

Of course, I can always use the normal Biff to let me know when mail
arrives, which is what I do (actually, I use Newmail instead).
Another alternative is to forward my mail to a system that does have
X.  However, administrative reasons, amongst others, prevent this.

No big deal ... that comment was just a throwaway line anyway ...

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208
Why did Constantinople get the works? Gung'f abobql'f ohfvarff ohg gur Ghexf.

nrd@redwood22.cray.com (Neal Dalton) (12/18/90)

Here, many of us us a modified version of xbiff the on a SLC will
use the audio ports for sounds when a message arrives and you click
on the xbiff and it pops up a xterm runningelm.  When your done you
quit elm and wait for you biff (to bark).

----
Neal  /\    /   _     /   \|||/                   Neal Dalton
     /  \  / _  _\   /   /     \                  Cray Research, inc
    /    \/_</_(_/\_/   (  o o  ) _________       655-F Lone Oak Dr.
                         \  ^  / /         \      Eagan, MN 55121
                          \ 0 / <   OH NO,  )
Internet: nrd@cray.com     \_/   \ not him!/      Fax:   (612) 683-5599
    uucp: uunet!cray!nrd          \_______/       Phone: (612) 683-5607