   From encore!maxzilla!dgardine Fri Nov  9 19:07:09 1990
   Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 19:04:22 EST
   From: Derek Gardiner <gould!maxzilla!dgardine>
   To: gem_team
   Subject: Gemini minutes 11/9

As far as I can tell, this should do what I want it to do.  But it
doesn't.  Not even when I run this message through filter on the
command line.  Not even different variations on the contents of the if
clause ('to contains "gem_team"' 'to "gem_team"', and 'to =
"gem_team"' all have not worked).

Any clue as to what's going on?  I'm running Elm 2.3.8.

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (11/13/90)

According to epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson):
>I've been playing with filter a bit lately, and I can't seem to get it
>to work right.

I would suggest that users of filter should upgrade to Deliver 2.0 if
filter's quirks are causing them difficulties.

> What I want to do is save all messages that come to me
>through a mailing list called "gem_team" to a folder called
>"/usrs/sqa/epeterso/Mail/gemini" as well as drop them into my mailbox.

A user delivery file to accomplish this goal might look like:

	#!/bin/sh
	case "`header -f To $HEADER`"
	*gem_team*)   echo "Mail/gemini" ;;
	esac
	echo "$1"

Presto!

Deliver 2.0 is available at finer archive sites everywhere, including
osu-cis and alfred.  E-Mail for details.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed

rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) (11/13/90)

In <273ED190.56F6@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

}According to epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson):
}>I've been playing with filter a bit lately, and I can't seem to get it
}>to work right.

}I would suggest that users of filter should upgrade to Deliver 2.0 if
}filter's quirks are causing them difficulties.

What exactly are these quirks?  Filter seems to work fine for me.

}> What I want to do is save all messages that come to me
}>through a mailing list called "gem_team" to a folder called
}>"/usrs/sqa/epeterso/Mail/gemini" as well as drop them into my mailbox.

}A user delivery file to accomplish this goal might look like:

}	#!/bin/sh
}	case "`header -f To $HEADER`"
}	*gem_team*)   echo "Mail/gemini" ;;
}	esac
}	echo "$1"

A filter rule to accomplish this goal might look like:

	to contains gem_team ? savecopy <folder-name>

}Presto!

Cheers. - Rob
--
Rob Kurver                          rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl
Computational Physics Group         rob@pact.nl

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (11/14/90)

rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) writes:

| In <273ED190.56F6@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
|
| }According to epeterson@encore.com (Eric Peterson):
| }>I've been playing with filter a bit lately, and I can't seem to get it
| }>to work right.
|
| }I would suggest that users of filter should upgrade to Deliver 2.0 if
| }filter's quirks are causing them difficulties.

Deliver would be overkill -- I've found the problem.

| }> What I want to do is save all messages that come to me
| }>through a mailing list called "gem_team" to a folder called
| }>"/usrs/sqa/epeterso/Mail/gemini" as well as drop them into my mailbox.
|
| A filter rule to accomplish this goal might look like:
|
| 	to contains gem_team ? savecopy <folder-name>

Chip deleted the part where I included my ~/.elm/filter-rules file
which contains a statement equivalent to that above.  Luckily, though,
I've found out what's going on ...

Here's my filter rule:

   to contains "gem_team" ? savecopy "/usrs/sqa/epeterso/Mail/gemini"

Here's the result of `filter -r`:

   Rule 1:  if (to = "gem team") then
             Copy and Save /usrs/sqa/epeterso/Mail/gemini

Looks like "gem_team" is getting mapped to "gem team", which is *not*
what I want!  Looks like it's time to hack the filter code ... unless
there is some way to pass an underscore to filter without it being
mapped into a space (and, no, backslash quoting it didn't help).

Eric
--

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (11/20/90)

According to rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver):
>In <273ED190.56F6@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>}I would suggest that users of filter should upgrade to Deliver 2.0 if
>}filter's quirks are causing them difficulties.
>
>What exactly are these quirks?  Filter seems to work fine for me.

I refer to bugs and/or surprising behaviors that Filter has exhibited
for its users.  I cannot recall past complaints, for which I
apologize.  Never having been a user of filter, I have no complaints
myself, except perhaps that it occupies space in /u/src/mail/elm.  :-)

In any case, I cannot believe that Deliver, which uses shell scripts
to control delivery, is in any way inferior to filter, with its
restricted sets of conditions and actions; and Deliver is certainly
the more general and flexible of the two.
--

acbhour@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Rudi van Houten) (11/22/90)

In article <27482CEE.50AE@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>In any case, I cannot believe that Deliver, which uses shell scripts
>to control delivery, is in any way inferior to filter, with its
>restricted sets of conditions and actions; and Deliver is certainly
>the more general and flexible of the two.

Just to ask a question: What is Deliver, how can I get information
about it?
--
Rudi van Houten	<acbhour@cc.ruu.nl>
Academisch Computer Centrum Utrecht / Besturings Systemen

rudolf@curano.acadch.com (Rudolf Kuenzli) (12/03/90)

In article <27482CEE.50AE@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>}I would suggest that users of filter should upgrade to Deliver 2.0 if
>>}filter's quirks are causing them difficulties.

Well, I am using filter heavily for almost every automatic processing of
my email and it does a perfect neat job. I even construct hate mail and
bounce mail withit without any difficulties.

--
Rudolf the Magician			  In real life: Rudolf Kuenzli
uucp: ...uunet!autodesk!adeskch!rudolf	  Internet: rudolf@curano.acadch.com

cse426@cck.cov.ac.uk (Simon Anderson) (12/18/90)

Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm  having  problems  with  Filter....
When  it  gets  incoming mail from the .forward entry and tries to add it
to the mailbox, it just adds it to the end of the  last  message  instead
of  as  a  new  message.  It  Only  does  this  when  it gets the message
forwarded, when I pipe the same message to it directly,  it  works  fine.
I've  tried  the  manual  page,  the  filter  guide  and  the  local help
newsgroup, but no-one here seems to know whats causing it. Any help  much
appreciated.

--
		Simon Anderson. cse426@uk.ac.cov.cck