[comp.mail.elm] Aliases busted in PL10?

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/09/91)

HELP!  I just rebuilt my aliases (newalias command) for the first time
since applying patch 10.  Both inside Elm and through checkalias and
listalias I have a SERIOUS problem:

1. Most of the aliases do not get expanded to include the Email address.
For instance:

    jack = Jack B. Nimble = jack@flurp.com

expands to

    jack    (Jack B. Nimbl)

2. Also, as indicated above, the last letter of the real name is dropped
on most of the aliases!!

Fortunately, I have a backup of my aliases files (text and stuff) that
is pre-PL10, so I could recover.  But I can't add any!  The problem
manifests both inside and outside Elm, whether through the A command
sub-menu or using newalias.

Anyone (particularly Syd, of course) got any help for me?  PLEASE?

Steven
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/09/91)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:
>HELP!  I just rebuilt my aliases (newalias command) for the first time
>since applying patch 10.  Both inside Elm and through checkalias and
>listalias I have a SERIOUS problem:
A temporary work-around was posted to this group back in late
December for this problem.  Patch 11 to fix this problem is in
beta-test. (I am now having patches beta'd to handle these problems
slipping out, but it does delay the patches a bit).

Alternatively, just recover newalias from pl9 and run that newalias
with pl10 elm.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/09/91)

In <1991Jan8.170342.19606@mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:

>HELP!  I just rebuilt my aliases (newalias command) for the first time
>since applying patch 10.  Both inside Elm and through checkalias and
>listalias I have a SERIOUS problem:

The current level of
elm2.3 is patchlevel

   @       @
  @@      @@
 @ @     @ @
   @       @
   @       @
   @       @
 @@@@@   @@@@@

aem
--
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu .......................................................
Let our children grow tall, and some taller than others. - Margaret Thatcher

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/10/91)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>The current level of
>elm2.3 is patchlevel 11

NO ITS NOT, I have yet to release patch 11, its still in beta.

kempf@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Markus Kempf / Physik) (01/10/91)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:

>HELP!  I just rebuilt my aliases (newalias command) for the first time
>since applying patch 10.  Both inside Elm and through checkalias and
>listalias I have a SERIOUS problem:

>1. Most of the aliases do not get expanded to include the Email address.
>For instance:

>    jack = Jack B. Nimble = jack@flurp.com

>expands to
>
>    jack    (Jack B. Nimbl)

>2. Also, as indicated above, the last letter of the real name is dropped
>on most of the aliases!!

>Fortunately, I have a backup of my aliases files (text and stuff) that
>is pre-PL10, so I could recover.  But I can't add any!  The problem
>manifests both inside and outside Elm, whether through the A command
>sub-menu or using newalias.

>Anyone (particularly Syd, of course) got any help for me?  PLEASE?

>Steven
>--
> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
> :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
> :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

We do have the same problem here and no solution. We would appreciate any help
too.

Markus Kempf
kempf@rhrk.uni-kl.de

| Markus Kempf, Department of Physics/SAGA e.V., University of Kaiserslautern |
| Germany, kempf@rhrk.uni-kl.de                                               |

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/10/91)

In <1991Jan9.174438.20996@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>>The current level of
>>elm2.3 is patchlevel 11

>NO ITS NOT, I have yet to release patch 11, its still in beta.

Yup, my mistake. Hey! Don't worry about PL10 problems, PL11 will be
about any day now!

aem

--
aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu .......................................................
I have here in my hand a list of 205 persons that were known to the secretary of

kempf@rhrk.uni-kl.de wrote:
>We do have the same problem here and no solution. We would appreciate any help
>too.

For those who waited til now to install PL10, and can't wait until PL11
is *officially* out, you can get a copy of patch 10 *with the temporary
patch to correct the newalias bug* from the elm archive site here at
mthvax.cs.miami.edu via ftp or from the netlib server by sending

send elm2.3.patch10 from elm

within an email message to netlib@mthvax.cs.miami.edu

Note that if you are through bizarre gateways or somewhere out in uucp
land, you may need to add an extra header such as

Really-From: uunet!agfa!penos!yarble

specifying the return route (i.e. from mthvax to your machine.)

aem