[comp.mail.elm] Signature files

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (11/17/90)

Can elm automatically include your .signature does that have to be done
by hand?

--
 -catt (catt@uiuc.edu)

I've never really trusted Smokey the Bear.  Everytime I see him I
wonder what happened to the Boy Scout that was orginally wearing that hat.

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (11/17/90)

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

>Can elm automatically include your .signature does that have to be done
>by hand?

Yes.  Make sure you have an elmrc file ($HOME/.elm/elmrc).  If you do
not, create one by going to the options menu ('o' command) and then
giving the save command ('>').  Now leave elm and edit the elmrc file.
In it you'll find two entries for signatures, shown below:

# local ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
localsignature =

# remote ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
remotesignature =

Change them to look like

localsignature = /home/lokkur/scs/.elm/signature

Put your signature in the file, and you're set.  See the reference
manual for more details.
--
"When your neighbour loses his job, it's a slowdown; when you lose your own
 job, it's a recession; when an economist loses his job it's a depression."

warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) (11/17/90)

sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

>Can elm automatically include your .signature does that have to be done
>by hand?

Sure, go into options and save them with a > (I think) than leave elm, cd
to .elm check out elmrc. It canb have both a local signature and a remote
signature. I've found it best to give a full path name here.
--
+  Dan Warburton   Nas Simulation Support Facility (NSSF)
+                  Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center

wmf@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Fischer) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov16.205734.14835@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
=>
=>Can elm automatically include your .signature does that have to be done
=>by hand?
=>
=>--
=> -catt (catt@uiuc.edu)
=>
=>I've never really trusted Smokey the Bear.  Everytime I see him I

Yes. Your elmrc file should contain the line:

remotesignature = <your sig file>
localsignature = <your local sig file>

wmf
remotesignature = /u/u1/wmf/.signature
--
| Bill Fischer                | US Agent for Omega Electronics & Swiss Timing |
| wmf@chinet.chi.il.us        |  Sports Timing and Display Systems Worldwide  |

andrew@tvcent.uucp (Andrew Cowie) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov16.205734.14835@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sacg1198@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>Can elm automatically include your .signature?

Yes it can. There is a file, likely ~/.elm/elmrc which contains the customized
run-time options of elm. In it, there are three signature fields. The one you
probably need is SIGNATURE, but there is the capability of haveing a serperate
remote/local signarure. (REMOTESIGNATURE, LOCALSIGNATURE)

If the your elmrc file does not exist, them it can be created from the options
menu of elm by pressing '>'.

--
Andrew F. Cowie at TVC Enterprises, Toronto, Canada
uunet!mnetor!lethe!tvcent!andrew andrew@tvcent.uucp

acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') (11/18/90)

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:

># local ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
>localsignature =

 Change this line to : localsignature = .signature
 This is for local mail deliveries.

># remote ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
>remotesignature =

 Change this line to : remotesignature = .signature
 This is for remote or other mail deliveries.

>Change them to look like

>localsignature = /home/lokkur/scs/.elm/signature
I don't know if this will work, but mine is like the above and it work
well. .

Mohd H. Misnan              */*  Internet address:
University of The Pacific, */*        acs17111@uop.uop.edu
Stockton, CA 95211        */*         hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu

c38573d@saha.hut.fi (Juha Virtanen) (11/19/90)

In article <658914687.3491@zeus.uop.edu> acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') writes:
>scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>
>>localsignature = /home/lokkur/scs/.elm/signature
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I don't know if this will work, but mine is like the above and it work
>well. .

	I've got it working well also by this way, but I can't get this
	working with rnmail. I mean if the .signature file doesn't
	exist just by this name in my home directory rnmail doesn't
	include it. Can this be helped? In this way like it's now I can
	use at least two different signatures.

--
I left my .signature off by chanching its name. That's also a problem.
when sending to news rn adds .signature automatically, but when sending

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Boldbear) (11/19/90)

In article <658914687.3491@zeus.uop.edu> acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') writes:
>scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>
>># local ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
>># remote ".signature" file to append to appropriate messages...
>>remotesignature =
>
> Change this line to : remotesignature = .signature
> This is for remote or other mail deliveries.
>
>>Change them to look like
>
>>localsignature = /home/lokkur/scs/.elm/signature
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I don't know if this will work, but mine is like the above and it work
>well. .

Wrong! If you use a relative path, elm will use a relative path. Do
not use relative paths in your elmrc file (unless for some unusual
reason that is really what you want elm to use).
--
Rob Bernardo                             Mt. Diablo Software Solutions    _ /
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US        phone: (415) 827-4301           <_/_><

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (11/19/90)

c38573d@saha.hut.fi (Juha Virtanen) writes:
>I've got it working well also by this way, but I can't get this
>working with rnmail. I mean if the .signature file doesn't
>exist just by this name in my home directory rnmail doesn't
>include it. Can this be helped? In this way like it's now I can
>use at least two different signatures.

If you want your elm signature file to be the same as your rnmail
signature file (which is <your home>/.signature, I think), just put

	localsignature = <your home>/.signature
and
	remotesignature = <your home>/.signature

into your elmrc file.
--
"When your neighbour loses his job, it's a slowdown; when you lose your own
 job, it's a recession; when an economist loses his job it's a depression."
	-- "Six Ways To Define A Recession", The Economist, Nov. 3 1990.

jow@PacBell.COM (Jeff Westman) (11/21/90)

Is there a way to define 'local' as THIS machine and THAT machine (or, just
one node away) ?  Our group is split between a Unix system and an VM
system, so I don't want a remote-signature everytime I send a note to THAT
machine.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeff

Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (11/26/90)

>>Change them to look like
>>localsignature = /home/lokkur/scs/.elm/signature
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As many people (some of which I've been unable to reach) have pointed
out to me, you can replace the part that is your home directory in the
path with either ~ or $HOME (choose the on you like most).

The above should better read

	localsignature = ~/.elm/signature

or as the signature is traditionally in your home directory in a file
called .signature, have it read

	localsignature = ~/.signature

(or use $HOME in place of ~ if you like).  Now this will prevent all
trouble in the case system administration will decide to change your
home directory.

Many thanks to all you, who mailed me this information!
--
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen@lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM@FINFILES

ssridhar@pase60.Convergent.Com (Srinivasan Sridhar) (01/12/91)

On Elm 2.3 PL5 (yes we do seem to have an outdated version on our
system !) the signature files don't seem to work as they should.
After specifying a filename in elmrc for "remote signatures", Elm
expands this for local signatures as well.  i.e, I want a
signature for only messages sent outside of our local aliases.

Am I doing something wrong ?  Any pointers will be useful.

Thanks

--Sridhar

Sriniasan Sridhar
ssridhar@convergent.com
UNIX Systems Group
UNISYS Corp.
San Jose, CA
(408) 435-7660
	    	  Will you won't you..........Won't you join the dance ?