[comp.mail.elm] long

tperala@ub.d.umn.edu (Tim Perala) (01/11/91)

I was quite amazed that our sendmail could even digest the following
address, but it does and even delivers it.

</S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@SPRINT.COM>

Now, such an address is certainly a candidate for aliasing, but
alas, I cannot get it to work.

Here is a sample from the aliases.text file...

test = weird test = </S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@SPRINT.COM>

But here is what I get after running "newalias"...

% checkalias test
Expands to: US/@SPRINT.COM> (weird test = </S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C)

This is not correct.

I tried putting quotes around the full address, but that did not help.

Can anyone tell me ...

a) If it is possible to get such an address properly alias (elm2.3PL5)?

b) If it is possible, how does one do it?

Thanks much.

-------
Tim Perala (tperala@ub.d.umn.edu)
University of Minnesota, Duluth
Information Services
(218) 726-6122

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/11/91)

tperala@ub.d.umn.edu (Tim Perala) writes:
>I was quite amazed that our sendmail could even digest the following
>address, but it does and even delivers it.

></S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@SPRINT.COM>
Its an X.400 address

>Now, such an address is certainly a candidate for aliasing, but
>alas, I cannot get it to work.
Yup, current Elm 2.3 does not handle that address due to the = signs
also being our delimiter (gee we switched from : to = due to X.400, now
we have to do something else.)  2.4 is planned to have a method
of escaping/quoting the address.  You'll have to wait for 2.4 at present.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

zvr@ntua.gr (Alexios Zavras) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.182125.16188@DSI.COM>, syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
> tperala@ub.d.umn.edu (Tim Perala) writes:
> ></S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@SPRINT.COM>
> Its an X.400 address

> Yup, current Elm 2.3 does not handle that address due to the = signs
> also being our delimiter (gee we switched from : to = due to X.400, now
> we have to do something else.)  2.4 is planned to have a method
> of escaping/quoting the address.  You'll have to wait for 2.4 at present.

Alternatively, you could switch to using the `|' character
as a demiliter.  Another two-line patch to the alias code... :-)
I *think* that no addressing scheme uses `|'
(at least I haven't seen any).

But of course, escaping/quoting is better...

-- zvr --
    +---------------------------+	Alexios Zavras (-zvr-)
    | H eytyxia den exei enoxes |	zvr@theseas.ntua.gr
    +-----------------------zvr-+	zvr%theseas.ntua.gr@ariadne.csi.forth.gr
"Il faut vivre comme on pense,
 sinon tot ou tard, on finit par penser comme on a vecu"

philip@cetia.fr (Philip Peake) (01/14/91)

| I was quite amazed that our sendmail could even digest the following
| address, but it does and even delivers it.
|
| </S=G.BUSH/OU=R06A/PRMD=USDA.FS.X400/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@SPRINT.COM>
|
| Now, such an address is certainly a candidate for aliasing, but
| alas, I cannot get it to work.

I also have this problem. The workaround that I use is to put a shell script
in my $HOME/bin (which is picked up first), which does the following:

	# A hack to get X400 addresses to be accepted (= problem)

	cd $HOME/.elm
	/usr/local/bin/newalias
	ed - *.data <<+
	+

The address in the $HOME/.elm/aliases.text lookes like:

gordon = Gordon Hatcher = /PN:GORDON.HATCHER/O:GTE/ADMD:TELEMAIL/C:US/@sprint.com

The newalias comand of elm is *HORRIBLE*, and gets really upset if
there is not exactly two '=' characters.

Using the above allows newalias to work, then it rplaces the ':' with '='.

Nasty, but it works ...

Philip