[comp.mail.elm] turning off alias expansion

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/12/91)

uk1@sirius.rice.edu (Paul A. Scowen) writes:

>I have a user here who's using the group mailing facility.
>However, the total number of people he mails is rather large, and he's getting
>complaints from his recipients that the messages they're receiving are all header
>as the addresses get expanded out to there full names.  Now other than
>recommending that he write a lot more, how does one turn the expansion off
>for outgoing mail?
This one might be a new one for the monthly posting, it shows
up so often.

Elm cannot hide the alias expansion, because its a private alias.
If Elm hid it, then replies to all recipients would not be possible,
as the name to be replied to would be a local alias of some user, and
not available to the recipient.

Now if you use a MTA (sendmail or smail) alias, then sending to
alias@site.fqdn will indeed send it to all recipents and that works
just fine.

Someone else came up with another original one I never thought
of, use BCC for the line, then the recipients are not part of the
message, however, the same replying problem occurs.

Elm's group aliases were not meant for mailing lists.  A mailing
list means that anyone can send to it, ususally.  That is what
MTA aliases were for.  No we will not impliment an option to
kill the expansion.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

icsg0024@ming.cs.montana.edu (Randall) (01/15/91)

Thanks

--
Randall P. Johnson	Montana State University, Dept. of Computer Science
icsg0024@cs.montana.edu

icsg0024@cs.montana.edu
Randall P. Johnson