[comp.mail.elm] Elm 2.4 availability?

Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (01/16/91)

Any news on when Elm 2.4 will be available? The monthly posting says
'not before 5/1/91'.

I'm just wondering if it is worth holding out installing Elm 2.3 + patches
on our new Sun if a new version is going to arrive real soon.

Thanks,

--
Todd Hooper (Postmaster)                                   Computing Centre
                                            Curtin University of Technology

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/17/91)

Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) writes:
>Any news on when Elm 2.4 will be available? The monthly posting says
>'not before 5/1/91'.

>I'm just wondering if it is worth holding out installing Elm 2.3 + patches
>on our new Sun if a new version is going to arrive real soon.
As the statement says, Not before 5/1/91.  Define real soon?
thats at least 4+ months away, and, I slipped 2.3 about 3 months
from its 1 year minimum, I doubt 2.4 will slip any less.  So
I stick with the not before 5/1/91, but probably later.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (01/18/91)

In article <4677@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, edwin@cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) writes:
> In <6749.279445fa@cc.curtin.edu.au> Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper)
> writes:
>    | Any news on when Elm 2.4 will be available? The monthly posting says
>    | 'not before 5/1/91'.
> Hmm, I guess I see the problem... you parsed the date as DD/MM/YY :-)
> This is most likely not meant to be the fifth of January, but the
> first of May 1991...

Yes - you are all correct of course. I thought the 5th of January was a sort
of strange date anyway, and I realized my mistake a few moments after I had
posted. Maybe next time you could write it dd-mmm-yyyy just for us people
on the other side of the world :-)

I'll go ahead with installing 2.3.

Thanks,

Todd

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/21/91)

In article <6759.2796bade@cc.curtin.edu.au> Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) writes:

>Yes - you are all correct of course. I thought the 5th of January was a sort
>of strange date anyway, and I realized my mistake a few moments after I had
>posted. Maybe next time you could write it dd-mmm-yyyy just for us people
>on the other side of the world :-)

There's actually -- surprise -- an ISO standard on date and time formats
(although I don't know what the number of that standard is). It says that
dates should be written like yyyy-mm-dd or yy-mm-dd, with yyyy-mm-dd being
the preferred format. A full date-and-time specification is, according
to the standard, written like yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se