[comp.mail.elm] Using Elm to maintain a phonebook

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/24/91)

One of my dilemmas is that I don't like to have too many different programs
running at one time nor to have to remember the command syntaxes and
structures for tons of programs (okay - I DO remember a lot, but...)

I had the need to create a readily accessible telephone/address list,
and it suddenly occurred to me that Elm provided the ideal tool!  I
created a dummy mail message to use for the headers (minimal headers),
then I edit that message, including the name of the company and the
main phone number as the Subject:.  In the body of the message I can
then store the address, notes, Email address, FAX numbers, and the like.
I typically do all of this by editing the file =phonebook using Elm's
edit mode.  When I want to look someone up, I either sort by Subject:
or use the / or // searches!  Works like a charm and, since I almost
always have Elm up in a window, it's real quick, too!!
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan23.202749.1855@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
>I had the need to create a readily accessible telephone/address list,
>and it suddenly occurred to me that Elm provided the ideal tool!  I
>created a dummy mail message to use for the headers (minimal headers),
>then I edit that message, including the name of the company and the
>main phone number as the Subject:.  In the body of the message I can
>then store the address, notes, Email address, FAX numbers, and the like.
>I typically do all of this by editing the file =phonebook using Elm's
>edit mode.  When I want to look someone up, I either sort by Subject:
>or use the / or // searches!  Works like a charm and, since I almost
>always have Elm up in a window, it's real quick, too!!

I think that's a bright idea.

Neat way to keep a database with variable number of fields, and variable field
lengths.

How many names do you tend to keep in such an Elm mailbox?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341