[comp.mail.elm] Expanding local aliases

edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) (01/25/91)

Hi, we are running elm 2.3 patchlevel 8 here, and I have some questions
about the aliasing.  I have an alias "tome", which is defined as the
following:

tome = Jimmy Page = tome

Yes, he is a user on my own machine.  When I use this alias, I was getting
the message "Couldn't expand system tome" at the bottom of the screen, but
it worked okay.  Now, today, after trying to set an alias for a mailing
list (also on this machine) like this:

zeppelin = Led Zeppelin Mailing List = zeppelin

This didn't work at all, when I tried it out elm would say To: ??? rather
than zeppelin, and so I tried this:

Which did the exact same thing, and now the tome alias does this also.

Is there anything I can do about this?  Anything that can be done about
this?

Thanks for your help,
		--Eric
--
/----------"Oh carrots are divine, you get a dozen for dime, its maaaagic."--
|Eric (the "Mentat-Philosopher") Hendrickson	  Academic Computing Services
|edh@ux.acs.umn.edu	   The game is afoot!	      University of Minnesota
\-"What does 'masochist' and 'amnesia' mean?   Beats me, I don't remember."--

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/25/91)

edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:
>tome = Jimmy Page = tome

>When I use this alias, I was getting
>the message "Couldn't expand system tome" at the bottom of the screen, but
>it worked okay.
I have several aliases that are similar to this, in that the alais
name and the delivery name are the same.  It works fine here,
and always has.   I think you have a good mystery to start to
track down.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (01/25/91)

edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:

>Hi, we are running elm 2.3 patchlevel 8 here, and I have some questions
>about the aliasing.  I have an alias "tome", which is defined as the
>following:

>tome = Jimmy Page = tome

>Yes, he is a user on my own machine.  When I use this alias, I was getting
>the message "Couldn't expand system tome" at the bottom of the screen, but
>it worked okay.  Now, today, after trying to set an alias for a mailing
>list (also on this machine) like this:

>zeppelin = Led Zeppelin Mailing List = zeppelin

>This didn't work at all, when I tried it out elm would say To: ??? rather
>than zeppelin, and so I tried this:

>Which did the exact same thing, and now the tome alias does this also.

>Is there anything I can do about this?  Anything that can be done about
>this?

Well, I use elm 2.3 PL11, and I do NOT have this problem. But maybe your
alias-file is too long, so elm has trouble to expand the latest entries?
(Normally one can only alias aroun 251 aliases, depending on the machine.
And I had once a Problem with too long aliases to expand...
Anyhow I'm just an elm-newcomer...
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan24.192917.13930@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:
>>tome = Jimmy Page = tome
>
>>When I use this alias, I was getting
>>the message "Couldn't expand system tome" at the bottom of the screen, but
>>it worked okay.
>and always has.   I think you have a good mystery to start to
>track down.

I found the problem, the person who had installed elm on this system hadn't
installed a new "newalias" utility, and so I was using an old one.  I
backed up my aliases.hash file, ran the right newalias (creating a new
aliases.hash) and it works fine now.  (though it still says "Couldn't
expand system tome" when I use that and other local aliases).

Thanks,
		--eric
--

willemk@nijmeg (willem kutschruiter) (01/29/91)

edh@ux.acs.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:

>Hi, we are running elm 2.3 patchlevel 8 here, and I have some questions
>about the aliasing.  I have an alias "tome", which is defined as the
>following:

>tome = Jimmy Page = tome

>Yes, he is a user on my own machine.  When I use this alias, I was getting
>the message "Couldn't expand system tome" at the bottom of the screen, but
>it worked okay.  Now, today, after trying to set an alias for a mailing
>list (also on this machine) like this:

>zeppelin = Led Zeppelin Mailing List = zeppelin

>This didn't work at all, when I tried it out elm would say To: ??? rather
>than zeppelin, and so I tried this:

>Which did the exact same thing, and now the tome alias does this also.

>Is there anything I can do about this?  Anything that can be done about
>this?

Yes,

Recompile your alias file.
This solved it at my site.

--
Willem Kutschruiter.      Sr Technician network systems.

Intergraph Nijmegen,  The Netherlands
Phone +31 (80) 525709  ext 709   Mailpath : willemk@nijmeg.ingr.COM