[comp.mail.elm] Handling mailing lists?

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/29/91)

I'm trying to get elm to handle a rather large mailing list.  At first, I
just put all the targets into one long line after the alias.  However,
newalias informed me that the line was too long, and that it was possible
to split it by using white-space at the beginning of each entry.  So I tried
it.  Now the error message I get is to the effect of:
** Bad alias name: user@machinename.domainname

How do I get around this?  What is the proper way to format a large list?
--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/30/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>I'm trying to get elm to handle a rather large mailing list.  At first, I
>just put all the targets into one long line after the alias.  However,
>newalias informed me that the line was too long, and that it was possible
>to split it by using white-space at the beginning of each entry.  So I tried
>it.  Now the error message I get is to the effect of:
>** Bad alias name: user@machinename.domainname
>
>How do I get around this?  What is the proper way to format a large list?

Instead of using Elm, which will put all the addressees into the header
and probably aggravate at least half of them, use your MTA if possible.
That is, Sendmail or SMAIL or whatever.  You can put virtually unlimited
lists in with SMAIL, all referenced by a single list name within Elm.
Of course, this doesn't help if you don't have one of the MTAs, does it? %^}
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

lisbon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gerry Swetsky) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.213117.2793@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>I'm trying to get elm to handle a rather large mailing list.  At first, I
>just put all the targets into one long line after the alias.  However,
>newalias informed me that the line was too long,

Try the following....

a =	user1@site1.domain1
b =	user2@site2.domain2
c =	user3@site3.domain3
d =	user4@site4.domain4

list =	Mailing list folks = a, b, c, d

Worked for us.......

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky  |
|                 vpnet - Public access Unix and Usenet                    |
| Home (708)833-8122       vpnet (708)833-8126      lisbon@vpnet.chi.il.us |