[comp.mail.elm] X.400 alias

collins@ists.ists.ca (Mike Collins) (02/02/91)

Elmers

  I have an account on Omnet (a Sprint mail derivative). I would like to
facilitate sending mail over to this "private" mail system from within
elm. The addresses are in X.400 format eg:

/dd.un=i.rubinstein/o=omnet/admd=telemail/c=us/@sprint.com

We are running elm 2.2 PL14, and it chokes when I try to alias this
address. Can anyone suggest a way?

cheers
mjc
*-------------------------------------------*---------------------------------*
|michael collins		            |phone:            (416) 665-5409 |
|earth observation laboratory               *---------------------------------*
|institute for space and terrestrial science|FAX:              (416) 665-2032 |
|york university                            *---------------------------------*
|4850 keele street                          |e-mail:      I.RUBINSTEIN (Omnet)|
|north york, ontario,	                    |             collins@eol.ists.ca |
|canada M3J 3K1                             |uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!collins|
*-------------------------------------------*---------------------------------*

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/02/91)

collins@ists.ists.ca (Mike Collins) writes:
>  I have an account on Omnet (a Sprint mail derivative). I would like to
>facilitate sending mail over to this "private" mail system from within
>elm. The addresses are in X.400 format eg:

>/dd.un=i.rubinstein/o=omnet/admd=telemail/c=us/@sprint.com

>We are running elm 2.2 PL14, and it chokes when I try to alias this
>address. Can anyone suggest a way?
Both 2.2 and 2.3 currently will choke on this address.  Reason: = is
our field delimiter (chosen not to conflict with X.400, but look
what happened anyway...)

A workaround suggested by one Elmer is to use another character
for the = sign in the alias.text file, and then edit the alias.data
file to change the character back to the = sign.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235