[comp.mail.elm] use of a comma in an address

bel@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert E. Laughlin) (02/07/91)

Hello;
	I have a need to send messages to compuserve on accasion.  They use
	a comma in the address.  newalias and elm will not, at present, allow
	the use of comma's in the address.  How can I send such mail?

	An email responce will be best.  If there is enough interrest I
	will post a composite answer.  My email address is bel@nosc.mil

	bel

These are my opinions.  I do not speak for NOSC.

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (02/08/91)

In article <2786@cod.NOSC.MIL> bel@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert E. Laughlin) writes:

>	I have a need to send messages to compuserve on accasion.  They use
>	a comma in the address.  newalias and elm will not, at present, allow
>	the use of comma's in the address.  How can I send such mail?

I thought you could put periods where the commas go, e.i.,
mmmmmmm.nnnnnnn@compuserv.com, and things would go swimmingly.
I have an Elm alias like that.  Works like a champ.

<> When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he
<> always declares that it is his duty. -- G.B. Shaw
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (02/09/91)

bel@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert E. Laughlin) writes:
> I have a need to send messages to compuserve on accasion.  They use
> a comma in the address.

From the internet, a Compu$erve address has a dot, not a comma.  I.e. the CI$
user id 123,45678 becomes 123.45678@compuserve.com.
--
Randy Bush  / news@psg.com  / ..!uunet!m2xenix!news

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (02/09/91)

In article <2786@cod.NOSC.MIL> bel@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert E. Laughlin) writes:
>Hello;
>	I have a need to send messages to compuserve on accasion.  They use
>	a comma in the address.  newalias and elm will not, at present, allow
>	the use of comma's in the address.  How can I send such mail?
>
>	An email responce will be best.  If there is enough interrest I
>	will post a composite answer.  My email address is bel@nosc.mil
>
>	bel
>
>These are my opinions.  I do not speak for NOSC.

All you do is replace the comma with a dot.  Example:

person's compuserve address:   72123,4567

Person's mail address:         72123.4567@compuserve.com

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil