[comp.mail.elm] elm's behavior is a function of the uid ???

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/07/91)

I am calling into my SCO UNIX 3.2 2 system. Either over a Trailblazer at PEP
speeds, or over a Hayes-type at 2400, and either way, I get this problemr:

Logged in as 'jpr', an average non-privileged user, I have no problem using elm
to read mail.

Logged in as 'root', or logged in as 'jpr' and doing an 'su' to 'root', elm
fails, in that the bottom part of elm's screen, with the prompts & such, comes
out at the top of my screen, and I do not see the list of messages at all.

Same value of TERM. Less, more, vi, and other screen-oriented programs work the
same for either uid.

How could elm's behavior vis-a-vis screen functions be affected by the uid?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

scs@lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) (02/08/91)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>How could elm's behavior vis-a-vis screen functions be affected by the uid?

Different accounts may have different elm configuration files.  Look for
~/.elm/elmrc or ~/.elmrc files in both accounts.
--
	"Perl is the BASIC of UNIX."  -- Tom Christiansen

cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) (02/10/91)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>How could elm's behavior vis-a-vis screen functions be affected by the uid?

	And more to the point, why does it only happen on dialup?  But I see
exactly the same behavour.
		Cliff.
--
Cliff Stanford				Email:	cliff@demon.co.uk (Work)
Demon Systems Limited				cms@demon.co.uk   (Home)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb09.185358.4675@demon.co.uk> cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) writes:
>jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>>
>>How could elm's behavior vis-a-vis screen functions be affected by the uid?
>>

>	And more to the point, why does it only happen on dialup?  But I see
>exactly the same behavour.

I'll take some small comfort in knowing that I'm not alone...
Do you have the same OS and modems as I?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) (02/12/91)

jpr@jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>I'll take some small comfort in knowing that I'm not alone...
>Do you have the same OS and modems as I?

	I have SCO V3.2.[02] and HST modems.  I really can't believe that
the modems have anything to do with it!
		Regards,
			Cliff.