[comp.mail.elm] Does Aliasing work in any version of Elm?

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (02/12/91)

For some reason, I don't know what would make aliasing work or not work,
my aliases either don't expand correctly or they don't expand at all.

An example: (my aliases.text file looks like this after inputting aliases
             through Elm)

   name1 = name2 = name3
   me = J.B. Nicholson = jeffo@uiuc.edu

When I say 'elm name1' on the command line, Elm expands that to "name1"
(on one system that has patch level 10, I believe).  If I say 'elm me'
Elm expands that to "J.B. Nicholso" (the last letter always seems to be
getting cut off the real_name field).  Neither Elm alias expander works,
because Elm actually tries sending the mail to "name1" or "J.B. Nicholso"
respectively, never substituting "name3" or "jeffo@uiuc.edu" for the
To: field.

Is there a working alias in the latest version of Elm?  What is the latest
version of Elm?

Another alias related question:  When I say 'newalias' on the command
line, it goes through and checks the system aliases, not MY aliases.  What
is the name of the program that will go through and check my aliases.text
file for errors and update the aliases.hash and aliases.data files?  I've
looked at the alias manual, but neither the 'newalias' nor the 'checkalias'
program seems to work with my aliases, only the systems.  (I've temporarily
forgotten whether the program is call 'newaliases' or 'newalias', but I've
typed it correctly and seen the program working.)

Jeff
| "If you hear an onion ring - answer it."                    J.B. Nicholson |
| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)              These opinions are mine, that's all.|

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/12/91)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>For some reason, I don't know what would make aliasing work or not work,
>my aliases either don't expand correctly or they don't expand at all.
[...]
>(on one system that has patch level 10, I believe).

Thats why Patch 11 came out.  Their was a minor glitch in patch 10
that broke newalias.  If you get patch 11 from the archive-server
and apply it, then rerun newalias, all should be ok.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (02/12/91)

It's newaliases and listaliases for your personal elm db.

In <1991Feb11.203437.27046@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>Thats why Patch 11 came out.  Their was a minor glitch in patch 10
>that broke newalias.  If you get patch 11 from the archive-server
>and apply it, then rerun newalias, all should be ok.

I *just* tried it on another system that is running Elm v2.3 PL11.  I
tried sending mail to an alias I had created that goes:

tester1 = tester2 = tester3

I sent mail to 'tester1' and I saw 'tester1' in the To: field of the
headers.  So, right now I'd say that PL11 has the same problem.

Also, if I run newalias, why doesn't Elm check MY aliases, I'm not
interested in what the system's aliases are, I'd like for Elm to do
the error checking & updating of the alias.* files in MY ~/.elm/.

Jeff
| "If you hear an onion ring - answer it."                    J.B. Nicholson |
| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)              These opinions are mine, that's all.|

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/12/91)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>In <1991Feb11.203437.27046@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:
>>Thats why Patch 11 came out.  Their was a minor glitch in patch 10
>>that broke newalias.  If you get patch 11 from the archive-server
>>and apply it, then rerun newalias, all should be ok.

>I *just* tried it on another system that is running Elm v2.3 PL11.  I
>tried sending mail to an alias I had created that goes:

>tester1 = tester2 = tester3

>I sent mail to 'tester1' and I saw 'tester1' in the To: field of the
>headers.  So, right now I'd say that PL11 has the same problem.
I'd see if that system installed the PL11 newalias or just the
PL11 elm binary.  Newalias does work a pl11.

>Also, if I run newalias, why doesn't Elm check MY aliases, I'm not
>interested in what the system's aliases are, I'd like for Elm to do
>the error checking & updating of the alias.* files in MY ~/.elm/.
Newalias doesn't check anything, it compiles a aliases.text file
into aliases.data and aliases.hash.   Unless you have system privlidges
and give it a flag, newalias always compiles your local aliases, even
for root, it compiles the local aliases.

As to Elm, Elm, if it finds the local aliases file uses them first,
then the system aliases next.  Plus, as a saftey measure, a system
alias is not allowed to 'recurse' into a user alias.

Checkaliases is nothing more than an option to Elm.  If you are having
trouble, look at the aliases.data file, its plain text, make sure
its the data from the aliases.text file (its slightly different
format, but the same data - format is just the expansion
of the alias, not the alias itself, as in 'address (comment)'.

If thats ok, then run Elm with debugging and see if it finds and
loads the user aliases.  Perhaps something is compiled or installed
incorrectly.

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (02/14/91)

jeffo@uiuc.edu wrote:
>For some reason, I don't know what would make aliasing work or not work,
>my aliases either don't expand correctly or they don't expand at all.

>Another alias related question:  When I say 'newalias' on the command
>line, it goes through and checks the system aliases, not MY aliases.
>  (I've temporarily
>forgotten whether the program is call 'newaliases' or 'newalias', but I've
>typed it correctly and seen the program working.)

You've gotten a bit confused.  Newaliases is a program that builds an
alias database for use with sendmail using the data file /etc/aliases as
input.  Newalias is an ELM utility that builds an alias database for an
individual user using ~/.elm/aliases.text as input. If you ELM aliases
are not getting expanded, you've probably forgotten to run newalias.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301