For example:

	From: jim@moonbase
	Cc:   aliens

I reply to this, and the mail is sent correctly to jim@moonbase,
but the Cc: reply is sent to aliens on my local machine.  Unfortunately,
my local machine has no aliens (only programmers) so I get a Returned
mail message.

So I have taken up always rewriting my Cc: line manually.  Does
anyone have a fix for this?
   __
  /  )                Gene H. Olson             gene@zeno.mn.org
 / __  _ __  _
(__/ _(/_//_(/_                                 gene@digibd.com

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/14/91)

gene@zeno.mn.org (Gene H. Olson) writes:
>In my experience, I have never been able to get elm to rewrite
>my CC: line addresses correctly when doing a group reply.  It seems
>I must have tried all the available options.

>For example:

>	From: jim@moonbase
>	Cc:   aliens

>I reply to this, and the mail is sent correctly to jim@moonbase,
>but the Cc: reply is sent to aliens on my local machine.  Unfortunately,
>my local machine has no aliens (only programmers) so I get a Returned
>mail message.
This is not an Elm bug, Elm is just replying to all addresses it sees,
and if the CC: line as received is not qualified, then it should
bounce.  It is up to the sending site's MTA to qualify all From: and
CC: addresses before they leave the site.  What you need to do
is contact the postmaster at that site and get them to fix their
MTA.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

andrew@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson) (02/15/91)

In the referenced article gene@zeno.mn.org (Gene H. Olson) writes:
| In my experience, I have never been able to get elm to rewrite
| my CC: line addresses correctly when doing a group reply.  It seems
| I must have tried all the available options.
|
| For example:
|
| 	From: jim@moonbase
| 	Cc:   aliens
|
| I reply to this, and the mail is sent correctly to jim@moonbase,
| but the Cc: reply is sent to aliens on my local machine.  Unfortunately,
| my local machine has no aliens (only programmers) so I get a Returned
| mail message.
|
| So I have taken up always rewriting my Cc: line manually.  Does
| anyone have a fix for this?

Gene,
	This is *correct* behavior.  Your sendmail is configured wrong (or
	some other MTA)  If aliens are not local, they should be tagged as
	aliens@homebase.flying.saucer when they drop in to your mailbox.

	Someone at your site needs to spend some time fixing things ;-(.
--
Andrew.Macpherson@stl.stc.co.uk  --  PSI%234237100122::Andrew.Macpherson
"There is nothing quite so worthwhile as simply messing about in boats"

cliff@demon.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb13.155240.20832@zeno.mn.org> gene@zeno.mn.org (Gene H. Olson) writes:

>For example:
>
>	From: jim@moonbase
>	Cc:   aliens
>
>I reply to this, and the mail is sent correctly to jim@moonbase,
>but the Cc: reply is sent to aliens on my local machine.

	Surely this is a fault with the mailer at moonbase which should
have added '@moonbase' to the Cc line.
		Cliff.
--
Cliff Stanford				Email:	cliff@demon.co.uk (Work)