[comp.mail.elm] Permission Problem

root@mute.ruhr.de (Superuser) (02/16/91)

Hallo,
I am using SCO-Unix 3.2.2 (mmdf)
If i try to mail with elm as a normal,non-superuser, i get an
Permission denied - can't change Directory.
No Problem to mail as Root, or to use SCO's mail.
Any Hint what to do, but I don't want to change the whole mmdf-Files and
Directorys to rw.

		mfg Frank
--
Frank Huemme, 46 Dortmund 1 , email: frank@mute.ruhr.de

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) (02/18/91)

root@mute.ruhr.de (Superuser) writes:

>Hallo,
>I am using SCO-Unix 3.2.2 (mmdf)
>If i try to mail with elm as a normal,non-superuser, i get an
>Permission denied - can't change Directory.
	I just compiled elm and tried it out. I too got errors from
	submit. You have to run /usr/mmdf/bin/checkup. It will tell
	you to do some chowns, chgrps and chmods. I set some tmp
	directories to 777 (2777 didn't work :-( and now elm is
	working fine. (these tmp directories are subdirectories
	of directories :-) with mode 700, so it is no security risk)

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/18/91)

root@mute.ruhr.de (Superuser) writes:
>I am using SCO-Unix 3.2.2 (mmdf)
>If i try to mail with elm as a normal,non-superuser, i get an
>Permission denied - can't change Directory.
>No Problem to mail as Root, or to use SCO's mail.
>Any Hint what to do, but I don't want to change the whole mmdf-Files and
>Directorys to rw.
Another of the FAQ's, gee I wish SCO hadn't distributed MMDF with
the wrong config.

Run the checkup MMDF script, it will tell you which directory SCO
shipped with the wrong permissions. Fix that and all should be fine.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235