[comp.mail.elm] newalias different on pl 11 ?

tim@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Tim Elliott) (01/29/91)

Help.  I *have* an aliases.text that's 80 or so lines long, but couldn't run it
under pl10 (no suprise, eh?).  Well, now I can't even run it under pl11.
Here's the text on a simple aliases.text (1 entry).  Are my eyes deceiving me?
Did I read the manual wrong?   Arrrrgh.

% newalias
Updating your personal alias file...
Error - alias data line is not in proper format:
'len = tim@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu'

** Not saving tables!  Please fix and re-run newalias!
--

    --> Join E-Mail Tag NOW or I'll tickle your spleen.  Tag@uiuc.edu <--

  .-- Tim Elliott -------.-------------------------------------------------,
  `--------------------'---------------------------------------------------'

jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (James F. Kennedy) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.143250.14882@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tim@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Tim Elliott) writes:
>Help.  I *have* an aliases.text that's 80 or so lines long, but couldn't run it
>under pl10 (no suprise, eh?).  Well, now I can't even run it under pl11.
>Here's the text on a simple aliases.text (1 entry).  Are my eyes deceiving me?
>Did I read the manual wrong?   Arrrrgh.
>
>% newalias
>Updating your personal alias file...
>Error - alias data line is not in proper format:
>'len = tim@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu'
>
>** Not saving tables!  Please fix and re-run newalias!
>--
>    --> Join E-Mail Tag NOW or I'll tickle your spleen.  Tag@uiuc.edu <--
>
>  .-- Tim Elliott -------.-------------------------------------------------,
>   >  Genghis@uiuc.edu  /  University of Illinois School of Architecture  <
>  `--------------------'---------------------------------------------------'

I ran into this problem too and all I can figure out is that
the middle field (or comment field) is no longer optional.
Therefore, if I read your alias file correctly (from the 1 line), all
or most of your lines are in the format:

alias = address

while this used to be okay, PL11 seems to require a comment field, so
the proper format is:

alias = comment = address

Making sure all of your lines conforms to this should fix your problem.

My query is, why was this changed (anybody) ?

					James

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
James F. Kennedy				University of Pennsylvania
Systems Programmer				jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
(215)898-2476					jfk@pender.ee.upenn.edu
Computing and Educational Technology Services, Sch. of Engin. and Applied Sci.

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/30/91)

jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (James F. Kennedy) writes:
>alias = address
>while this used to be okay, PL11 seems to require a comment field, so
>the proper format is:

>alias = comment = address

>Making sure all of your lines conforms to this should fix your problem.

>My query is, why was this changed (anybody) ?
It didn't change, it was always supposed to be that way, ie,
requiring a comment, it was only a side effect of a bug that allowed
the other syntax to work.  (IE, you were depending on a bug, we fixed
the bug, so you loose.)
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/27/91)

jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (James F. Kennedy) writes:
>I ran into this problem too and all I can figure out is that
>the middle field (or comment field) is no longer optional.
>Therefore, if I read your alias file correctly (from the 1 line), all
>or most of your lines are in the format:

>alias = address

>while this used to be okay, PL11 seems to require a comment field, so
>the proper format is:

>alias = comment = address

>Making sure all of your lines conforms to this should fix your problem.

>My query is, why was this changed (anybody) ?
As I said before, because the bug that allowed having no comment field
was fixed.  (The comment field pointed to something wrong in that case).
It has always been required, but a bug let lines without it slip by
in 2.3.