[comp.mail.elm] In Response to an IDIOT Re: filter rule won't work

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (02/21/91)

In article <3748@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Navarra) writes:
%In article <490@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
%>Another question about filters: as soon as I started using this,
%>I no longer get biff-type notification at my terminal when new
%>mail has arrived.  Is there a way to still get notified for most
%>of my mail?
%     I played around with this one for a while. First of I am using Elm 2.3 and
% I am running bash (yeah bash!) as my shell but this should not make a differ-
% ence in the following description.
bash is awesome!!!!
%	As far as biff is concerned, I don't think you can get it to look
%anywhere but the usual place to notify you about mail. Therefore, I used
%newmail-- which you should have if you are running 2.2.
biff is anoying and so is newmail. You are a total idiot. I do not
understnad how you could even DREAM of using either one when you have
the incredibly more powerful mail checking of bash
%	I did this:
%       I changed my MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra:/home/u3/navarra/Mail
%and put a line like /usr/local/bin/newmail $HOME/Mail in my .bash_profile
%so newmail knows to check this directory (because that is where filtered
%mail is kept)
What a STUPID idea!! This guy is a total idiot.
First of all, your problem is that MAILPATH should be set to a file, not
to a directory. And newmail is the same - it must be set to a file
not a directory.
If, like this total idiot from nwu, you use bash,
What you should do is set mail path like this:
MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra?"New mail in main mailbox"
MAILPATH=$MAILPATH:$HOME/Mail/bruce?"New mail in folder bruce"
MAILPATH=$MAILPATH:$HOME/Mail/swd?"New mail in folder swd"
etc.
Then MAILCHECK=1
and you will receive notification of ANY mail and where it has arrived
immediately.
%	Now when I sent myself mail using a filter rule which saved mail
%in $HOME/Mail/test I DID NOT get notified of new mail!! SO what I did was
%to include the file test in my MAILPATH and then i was notified that I got
%mail. The only problem is that as far as I know, you would have to specify
%a file for each message. I could be wrong on this but if anyone knows for
%sure, please answer this.
NOt a file for each message, a file for each folder.
%
%----------------------
%from the lab of the MaD ScIenTISt
%navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
%
MaD is absolutely right - you are a TOTAL idiot
GET A LIFE

culter ;-)

			The Grand Master

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Navarra) (02/21/91)

>What a STUPID idea!! This guy is a total idiot.
>First of all, your problem is that MAILPATH should be set to a file, not
>to a directory. And newmail is the same - it must be set to a file
>not a directory.
        I may be a total idiot but my idea is correct, you must set up
 your MailPath to check the folders (and not the directories) that your
 filtered mail is being saved to. Just becuase I got folders and directories
 confused does not make my posting a "stupid idea" -- esp since you offer no

 and btw, I have a life -- perhaps you should come up here some weekend
 like you are supposed to and find that out ! :-)

culater bruce,

 from the Lab of the MaD (and proud of it) ScieNtIsT....

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) (02/23/91)

I am not going to include the text from this post since it's so childish.

The poster of the rude and insulting reply to the question would do well to
bear the following in mind :

1. Everyone has to start somewhere , if someone wants to ask a question on the
net , about anything , they deserve an answer not abuse.

2. Very few of us know all the answers , next time you might ask a question I
find trivial I can answer that patiently with some humour maybe or ignore it
what nobody deserves is personal attacks of that sort.

Enough said ??

--
Ian Spare , iT , Barker Lane , CHESTERFIELD , DERBYS , S40 1DY , GREAT BRITAIN

   E-mail : ian@ukpoit.uucp - VOICE : +44 246 214296 - FAX : +44 246 214353

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb22.183551.8112@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) writes:
>I am not going to include the text from this post since it's so childish.
>The poster of the rude and insulting reply to the question would do well to
>Ian Spare , iT , Barker Lane , CHESTERFIELD , DERBYS , S40 1DY , GREAT BRITAIN
Please re-read my response. I made it painfully, PAINFULLY obvious that
I was JUST KIDDING. Of course I went on a childish tirade - because I wanted
to make sure that everyone knew I was joking. The ;-) was also a clue. The
fact that I called John by his first name was a clue. The fact that John's
response to me said that I "should come up to Northwestern like [I] am
supposed to" was also one. John and I are friends - I was joking - although
My response did carry what I consider to be the best solution to the problem.
Also, I was not responding to a ques, but to a response to a ques - there is
a diff - I would never put someone down for a ques. For a stupid response
maybe - but only jokingly, and in an obvious way (as I did). Please read
posts more carfully before you respond!

The Grand Master
	Bruce Varney

To JOhn:

AND WHY DON'T YOU JUST COME HOME TO CINCY - OR COME DOWN TO PURDUE
OVER THE SUMMER?????????

Scientists! HMPH

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (02/27/91)

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:

>In article <1991Feb22.183551.8112@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) writes:
>>I am not going to include the text from this post since it's so childish.
>>The poster of the rude and insulting reply to the question would do well to
>>Ian Spare , iT , Barker Lane , CHESTERFIELD , DERBYS , S40 1DY , GREAT BRITAIN
>Please re-read my response. I made it painfully, PAINFULLY obvious that
>I was JUST KIDDING. Of course I went on a childish tirade - because I wanted
>a diff - I would never put someone down for a ques. For a stupid response
>maybe - but only jokingly, and in an obvious way (as I did). Please read
>posts more carfully before you respond!
>
>The Grand Master
>	Bruce Varney

Ian was not the only one who didn't know it was a joke.  It should not
be up to the readers to figure it out, Bruce.  I know that I thought it
was rude and obnoxious, too.  Maybe it was obvious to you and John because
you already KNEW!  You've made it sound as though Ian was foolish and
unintelligent for not knowing you were JUST KIDDING.  It wasn't that obvious.

 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.213638.8557@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
%asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
%
%>In article <1991Feb22.183551.8112@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) writes:
%>Please re-read my response. I made it painfully, PAINFULLY obvious that
%>							       Please read
%>posts more carfully before you respond!
%>
%>The Grand Master
%>	Bruce Varney
%
%Ian was not the only one who didn't know it was a joke.  It should not
%be up to the readers to figure it out, Bruce.  I know that I thought it
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
excuse me for assuming that the readers of this group would have
a sense of humor, and some cognitive powers.
%was rude and obnoxious, too.  Maybe it was obvious to you and John because
%you already KNEW!  You've made it sound as though Ian was foolish and
%unintelligent for not knowing you were JUST KIDDING.  It wasn't that obvious.

3. kid vb or kid.ded;  or kid.ding [prob. fr. 1kid] 1: to deceive as a joke
							  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(obviously it worked!)
   : FOOL 2: to make fun of : TEASE : to engage in goodhumored fooling or
   teasing : JOKE - kid.der n
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   in rage, sneer, fr. sark-, sarx flesh; akin to Av thwar*s to cut] 1: a
   cutting, hostile, or contemptuous remark : GIBE 2: the use of caustic or
   ironic language - sar.cas.tic aj

following is a copy of the original article with
commens by be in []'s to show just how obvious it was.

From: asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.elm
Subject: In Response to an IDIOT Re: filter rule won't work
Date: 20 Feb 91 17:24:15 GMT
Sender: news@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

[...]
%       I changed my MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra:/home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce
[ notice /home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce - my name is bruce, hmmmmm.]
%and put a line like /usr/local/bin/newmail $HOME/Mail in my .bash_profile
%so newmail knows to check this directory (because that is where filtered
%mail is kept)
What a STUPID idea!! This guy is a total idiot.
First of all, your problem is that MAILPATH should be set to a file, not
to a directory. And newmail is the same - it must be set to a file
not a directory.
If, like this total idiot from nwu, you use bash,
What you should do is set mail path like this:
MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra?"New mail in main mailbox"
MAILPATH=$MAILPATH:$HOME/Mail/bruce?"New mail in folder bruce"
MAILPATH=$MAILPATH:$HOME/Mail/swd?"New mail in folder swd"
etc.
Then MAILCHECK=1
and you will receive notification of ANY mail and where it has arrived
immediately.
[ridiculous overuse of words such as idiot, and stupid *should* have been
 a clue]
%	Now when I sent myself mail using a filter rule which saved mail
%in $HOME/Mail/test I DID NOT get notified of new mail!! SO what I did was
%to include the file test in my MAILPATH and then i was notified that I got
%mail. The only problem is that as far as I know, you would have to specify
%a file for each message. I could be wrong on this but if anyone knows for
%sure, please answer this.
NOt a file for each message, a file for each folder.
%
%----------------------
%from the lab of the MaD ScIenTISt
%navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
%
MaD is absolutely right - you are a TOTAL idiot
[ more overuse of derogatory terms ]
GET A LIFE

culter ;-)
[ a wink, delimited by page breaks - I WONDER WHY???????? ]

			The Grand Master

I am not asking that you read my mind, but you should be able to think about
it. I should not have to do something like:
[sarcasm on ]
sarcastic statements ......
[sarcasm off]
so that you know when I am being serious or not.
After re-reading the post myself, my only conclusions could have been the
I was joking, or an absolute raving lunatic - in the first case a response
would have been unnec - in the second, it would have been useless.
GET A SENSE OF HUMOR
			TGM
p.s. Both responses to me should have been sent e-mail, not posted

steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (03/03/91)

As quoted from <7007@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> by asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master):

+---------------
| In article <1991Feb26.213638.8557@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM
|	 writes:
| %asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
| %
| %>In article <1991Feb22.183551.8112@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk
|	 (Ian Spare) writes:
| %>
| %>The Grand Master
| %>	Bruce Varney
| %
| %Ian was not the only one who didn't know it was a joke.  It should not
| %be up to the readers to figure it out, Bruce.
|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+---------------

Usually, I would just hope and pray that these 'silly' and 'childish'
news postings disappear in due time, but I feel compelled to voice my
agreement with Steven M. List that, echoing his news posting ...
"I [too] though it was rude and obnoxious, too."

I would take what Steven List said in his 'followup article' one step
further, viz., I really do think you owe a public apology, perhaps not
to Ian Spare since he is supposedly your friend, but to all the readers
in the net.  Now only was your 'followup article' posted to the wrong
news group, as was Steven's and as is my own, but your 'followup' arti-
cle, along with your so-called 'p.s.' that "Both responses to me should
have been sent e-mail, not posted" should have itself, along your your
first 'followup article' should all have been been accomplished by
'E-mail'.

Furthermore, in taking what Steven List has said in his 'followup',
your explanation, or, in my opinion, your likewise sarcastic statement
to "...excuse me for assuming that the readers of this group would have
a sense of humor, and some cognitive powers", was stretching a point
of recognizing a 'humorous reply' beyond, in my opinion, any and all
limits of human reasoning.

+---------------
|                             ...Maybe it was obvious to you and John because
| %you already KNEW!  You've made it sound as though Ian was foolish and
| %unintelligent for not knowing you were JUST KIDDING.  It wasn't that obvious.
|
| 3. kid vb or kid.ded;  or kid.ding [prob. fr. 1kid] 1: to deceive as a joke
|                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| (obviously it worked!)
+---------------

OBVIOUSLY, IT DIDN'T WORK!  ( Go back to school, if you're even out of
school yet, and learn how to read dictionary deffinitions! )

+---------------
| following is a copy of the original article with
| commens by be in []'s to show just how obvious it was.

| [ the first clue I had humor in mind]
+---------------

Obviously, *YOU* haven't read many news posting and seen other 'Organ-
izations: ' that are included in the headers, have you?!!

+---------------
| % I changed my MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra:/home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce
| [ notice /home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce - my name is bruce, hmmmmm.]
+---------------

Nothing in your header or your signature indicates WHAT your real name is!

+---------------
| [ridiculous overuse of words such as idiot, and stupid *should* have been
|  a clue]
+---------------

I'm sorry, you seem to be very young and much inexperienced in under-
standing human nature -- I don't think you'd would find many people
on the "net" who would agree with that statement.

+---------------
| After re-reading the post myself, my only conclusions could have been the
| I was joking, or an absolute raving lunatic - in the first case a response
| would have been unnec - in the second, it would have been useless.
| GET A SENSE OF HUMOR
| 			TGM
| p.s. Both responses to me should have been sent e-mail, not posted
+---------------

I sincerely, and publically, request that you make an apology for these
ridiculous and sarcastic postings that you have made.  I find them ex-
tremely offensive, and have felt it important to publically say so.

My "real" name is, of course, in the ".signature" as well as my 'E-mail'
path.  For the record, I will not make a reply to you or anyone else on
this subject.  I do think you owe the people on this "net" a public
apology.

Regards....  Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org

navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Navarra) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar3.015215.4640@nshore.ncoast.org> steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) writes:
>As quoted from <7007@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> by asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master):
>
>I sincerely, and publically, request that you make an apology for these
>ridiculous and sarcastic postings that you have made.  I find them ex-
>tremely offensive, and have felt it important to publically say so.
>
>My "real" name is, of course, in the ".signature" as well as my 'E-mail'
>path.  For the record, I will not make a reply to you or anyone else on
>this subject.  I do think you owe the people on this "net" a public
>apology.
>
>Regards....  Steve Walick

    The original flame was on me and not on ian. I was attempting to give an
 answer to a elm ? and I got mixed up btw file and directory when I was giving
 advise to someone about filters. Now, I did not think I deserved such a flame
 nor did I think this was the appropriate group to do such a thing (even if
 the poster was a friend of mine -- come to think of it, esp if the poster was
 a friend of mine!). Bruce, however, does like to flame people (and you will
 find his long trail of inflamation across many of the Unix groups and in
 realms beyond.) So I suggest you stop posting responses to his original message or he will flame you some more!

	Ian: I meant to send you a mail message replying to your post but
             I had trouble sending to your address.

 Well, I did not want to get involved in this again but I wanted to clear up
 some inaccurate info that has been posted.

 Sorry you had to read this and the previous messages. They were totally
 unnecessary.

 From the Lab of the MaD SCienTIst.....
 navarra@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (03/04/91)

}
}+---------------
}|	 writes:
}| %asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
}| %
}| %>In article <1991Feb22.183551.8112@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk
}|	 (Ian Spare) writes:
}| %>
}| %>The Grand Master
}| %>	Bruce Varney
}| %
}| %Ian was not the only one who didn't know it was a joke.  It should not
}| %be up to the readers to figure it out, Bruce.
}|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
}+---------------
}
}Usually, I would just hope and pray that these 'silly' and 'childish'
}news postings disappear in due time, but I feel compelled to voice my
}agreement with Steven M. List that, echoing his news posting ...
}"I [too] though it was rude and obnoxious, too."
I am sorry I offended you.
I am sorry I invaded your private little serious world.
Please forgive me my sense of humor.
}
}I would take what Steven List said in his 'followup article' one step
}further, viz., I really do think you owe a public apology, perhaps not
}to Ian Spare since he is supposedly your friend, but to all the readers
}in the net.  Now only was your 'followup article' posted to the wrong
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How do you figure this? My followup included a solution to the problem
at hand. It had to do with mail and elm. What better group would
there have been to post it than comp.mail.elm???
}news group, as was Steven's and as is my own, but your 'followup' arti-
}cle, along with your so-called 'p.s.' that "Both responses to me should
}have been sent e-mail, not posted" should have itself, along your your
}first 'followup article' should all have been been accomplished by
}'E-mail'.
Must all followups be conducted by E-mail? As I said, my original follow-
up was directly related to the group, and I answered the question
at hand about having getting notification of new mail in special
folders set up by filter. Ian's response to this should have been
e-mail, but he posted it instead. I am not one to let that post
go unanswered. I was attacked directly in public in this group. It was
thus necassary to respond in this group. Steven could then have
emailed me his feelings, but he chose to post them as well, so again
I felt it necesarry to post my response to publically defend myself.
I am doing the same now. If you would like to conduct this via email
I would be happy to - I would actually prefer it. But I will not let
an attack on me in public go unanswered in public.
I believe you must have missed the original articel. Ian is not my friend,
John is.
}
}Furthermore, in taking what Steven List has said in his 'followup',
}your explanation, or, in my opinion, your likewise sarcastic statement
}to "...excuse me for assuming that the readers of this group would have
}a sense of humor, and some cognitive powers", was stretching a point
}of recognizing a 'humorous reply' beyond, in my opinion, any and all
}limits of human reasoning.
I obviously disagree with you. And I will not be held responsible
for other people's inablility to recognize sarcasm.
}
}+---------------
}|                             ...Maybe it was obvious to you and John because
}| %you already KNEW!  You've made it sound as though Ian was foolish and
}| %unintelligent for not knowing you were JUST KIDDING.  It wasn't that obvious.
}|
}| 3. kid vb or kid.ded;  or kid.ding [prob. fr. 1kid] 1: to deceive as a joke
}|                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
}| (obviously it worked!)
}+---------------
}
}OBVIOUSLY, IT DIDN'T WORK!  ( Go back to school, if you're even out of
}school yet, and learn how to read dictionary deffinitions! )
}
It DID deceive people into believing that I was being serious.
}+---------------
}| following is a copy of the original article with
}| commens by be in []'s to show just how obvious it was.
}|
}|               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
}| [ the first clue I had humor in mind]
}+---------------
}
}Obviously, *YOU* haven't read many news posting and seen other 'Organ-
}izations: ' that are included in the headers, have you?!!
of course I have. I have also noticed a trend that when people use
unusually silly organizations, they are prone to joke alot.
}
}+---------------
}| % I changed my MAILPATH=/usr/spool/mail/navarra:/home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce
}| [ notice /home/u3/navarra/Mail/bruce - my name is bruce, hmmmmm.]
}+---------------
}
}Nothing in your header or your signature indicates WHAT your real name is!
That is not correct - check out the original article  - my name was at
the end. And I will not be held responsible for someone not reading to the
end of the article. It is easy enough to page to the end if you
want to see who posted it.
}
}+---------------
}| [ridiculous overuse of words such as idiot, and stupid *should* have been
}|  a clue]
}+---------------
}
}I'm sorry, you seem to be very young and much inexperienced in under-
}standing human nature -- I don't think you'd would find many people
}on the "net" who would agree with that statement.
I would say that would depend on what group you got your "netters" from.
I would also say that for the most part you are incorrect. People
are capable (at least most are even if you aren't) of recognizing the
difference between serious insults, and silly namecalling.
Of cousre, if you take your poll from
comp.mail.elm.geeks.with.no.sense.of.humor
then you may get your desired results
(note: this is not an attack on all comp.elm.mail readers, just those
 that found it necc to be d***heads about this - GOOD GOD, WHY SHOULD
 I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT THOUGH - Oh, it is because of people like you.)
}
}+---------------
}| After re-reading the post myself, my only conclusions could have been the
}| I was joking, or an absolute raving lunatic - in the first case a response
}| would have been unnec - in the second, it would have been useless.
}| GET A SENSE OF HUMOR
}| 			TGM
}| p.s. Both responses to me should have been sent e-mail, not posted
}+---------------
}
}I sincerely, and publically, request that you make an apology for these
}ridiculous and sarcastic postings that you have made.  I find them ex-
OH MY GOD!!!
HE USED SARCASM!!!
LOCK HIM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY!!!
Good God!
}tremely offensive, and have felt it important to publically say so.
I find you extremely offensive.
}
}My "real" name is, of course, in the ".signature" as well as my 'E-mail'
}path.  For the record, I will not make a reply to you or anyone else on
}this subject.  I do think you owe the people on this "net" a public
}apology.
My original .sig included my name as well.
}
}Regards....  Steve Walick
}
}--
}
}Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
}{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org

As I said before - GET A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!

;-)

			Bruce Varney
				   The Grand Master