[comp.mail.elm] Listing system aliases from within elm

jsantos@cr.bull.com (Jim Santos) (03/06/91)

Sorry if this question has already been answered before, but...

Is there any way to list the elm system aliases from with elm?  I know
that you can do it with the listalias command, but that is not quite
what I want.

Also, if you try to list your aliases and you don't have an
aliases.text file, elm presents a message to that effect but just as
quickly erases it.  Is there someway around this?

Jim Santos
Bull Worldwide Information System
santos@granite.cr.bull.com

et@tsunami.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) (03/07/91)

In article <jsantos.668195006@godzilla> jsantos@cr.bull.com (Jim Santos) writes:
>Sorry if this question has already been answered before, but...
>
>Is there any way to list the elm system aliases from with elm?  I know
>that you can do it with the listalias command, but that is not quite
>what I want.

I had exactly this same question.  The users here are pretty naive and
it would be nice if choosing "l" withing the alias menu would paginate
a list of all the aliases.

Other question: is there (or could there be) an option to clear the screen
after exiting (q,Q,x) elm?  (trivial, true, but I wondered)

--
"I'd rather be no one than someone with no one to love" |    Eric Thompson
                                     --Stone Roses      | et@ocf.berkeley.edu

et@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) (03/07/91)

In article <jsantos.668195006@godzilla> jsantos@cr.bull.com (Jim Santos) writes:
>Is there any way to list the elm system aliases from with elm?  I know
>that you can do it with the listalias command, but that is not quite
>what I want.

I just tried this on Elm 2.3 PL 13, and it still doesn't work by using
the "l" command from the alias menu.  I can use "p" to list the aliases
by person (they're group/system, but whatever..) and "listalias" works fine.
Using "l" doesn't list anything however.  If I add user aliases (i.e. non-
global) then it will list those.. it just won't list the system-wide ones.

This is on an AT&T 3B2/700 running S5R3.2.1... if this command is supposed
to work, any help is appreciated.. if not, well... :-(  Everything else
seems to work dandy.

Eric

--

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/07/91)

et@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) writes:
>I just tried this on Elm 2.3 PL 13, and it still doesn't work by using
>the "l" command from the alias menu.
Neat trick, are you in a time warp or just a typo :-)

Before  I get overrun with mail, there is no PL13 to 2.3.   The current
rel is 2.3 PL11.  I don't know what version he meant.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

et@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.142357.23909@DSI.COM> syd@DSI.COM writes:
>et@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Thompson) writes:
>>I just tried this on Elm 2.3 PL 13, and it still doesn't work by using
>>the "l" command from the alias menu.
>Neat trick, are you in a time warp or just a typo :-)
>
>Before  I get overrun with mail, there is no PL13 to 2.3.   The current
>rel is 2.3 PL11.  I don't know what version he meant.

I meant 2.3 PL 11--sorry for the confusion... (ha, no, really, I went and