[comp.mail.elm] Complex and alias addressing on same line - coming in an ELM update?

jeffo@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (03/08/91)

Will the ability to do "hawaii = the twins = joe@cs.rit.edu,maoa" come in the
next release of ELM?  I would think that all that is required is two scans of
the alias listing.  In the alias-guide there is this example:

   hawaii = The Hawaiian Twins = joe@cs.rit.edu, maoa
   maoa   = Maoa Lichtenski Jr = maoa@Hawaii.cs.uh.edu

Aside from the maoa being defined after the hawaii (I see why that is a problem)
why must the hawaii line be bad?  What's so bad about having both a complex
address and an alias defined in the same alias such as the 'hawaii' line?

Think about the case where the two lines are reversed:

   maoa   = Maoa Lichtenski Jr = maoa@Hawaii.cs.uh.edu
   hawaii = The Hawaiian Twins = joe@cs.rit.edu, maoa

To make this work, all you'd have to do is modify the existing alias expansion
technique a little by just skipping names that can't be expanded.  Here,
"joe@cs.rit.edu" can't be expanded (there is no such alias defined), so just
move on to the next name in line (skip to the comma and do the rule again).

This is a pretty nice way to define aliases, IMHO, and avoids making silly
little aliases such as:

   joe    = Joe Lichtenski     = joe@cs.rit.edu

just for the purpose of getting the 'hawaii' alias to work (defined as
joe,maoa).  Perhaps the user has another use for the alias 'joe'?  Maybe
"joe@cs.rit.edu" will never get any mail from the user without 'maoa' getting
the same mail?

Anyways, will we be able to do these kind of definitions in an upcoming ELM
release?  If so, when?  If not, why not?

Jeff
--
+---------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
|*These opinions are mine*  This .signature is|...!uiuc.edu!jeffo  (UUCP'ish)|

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/08/91)

In article <jeffo.668402748@mrcnext> jeffo@uiuc.edu writes:
>Will the ability to do "hawaii = the twins = joe@cs.rit.edu,maoa" come in the
>next release of ELM?
The best answer to this question is no and maybe....
Its not a matter of order or passes, its a matter of the algorithm
of indexing that Dave used.  If we stay with Dave's algorithm, no,
its not possible with his code.  If we drop that algorithm and
go with a new one, then perhaps, if its within the realm
of what that algorithm will do.

All of it is in flux, which is why I doubt you will see 2.4
on May 1.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235